Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Incompetence on a grand scale!

Someone I know learned the other day that their council had applied for an Eviction order against them.

This whole thing is complicated but what basically happened is that the number-crunchers got it completely wrong about their entitlement to Housing Benefit then belatedly told them well over a month later.

They went from being up-to-date with their rent to arrears of over £300 but the council told them in June they'd sort it out as it was their error.

That was in June and despite these people 'phoning the housing Office every single week since, they still had not sorted out the problem.

Now another arm of the private company that now runs the council's services went ahead with a Court application for Eviction on the grounds of the arrears that have still been accruing thanks to the wrong initial information being given and no action taken to rectify this.

These people have had to find £200 immediately and they go to Court today or risk contempt but the council's housing director has designated a council employee to explain this cock-up by the contractor to the Court in person.

I'd loved to have been in that Court today because our Courts absolutely hate this kind of gross incompetence by councils these days, wasting valuable Court time and it's quite likely that the council will come out of this with a large fine and a slapped wrist.

Of course I'm hoping that the Court will agree to some extra time for these people and perhaps a little compassion and understanding when they have really tried to get this sorted. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Re: Incompetence on a grand scale!

Incompetence is rife today, or is it just my experience
Hope they get this sorted favourably
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 07:28 PM

Personally, knowing what I know, I'd have gone to the housing office personally. You're only a number and in a queue on a phone line. This was a serious matter.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 07:31 PM

That's terrible and so unnecessary, hope they get it sorted and get a big apology for all the worry.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2014, 11:11 AM

Much to everyone's surprise the Council got a very mild rebuke from the judge and the people we know feel that something of an old pals act has taken place between the Council Chief and the Judge as, apparently, they know each other quite well.

They have not had an apology and they told my wife that nobody at the Council really seems to care about the worry and the stress they've caused, especially as they did constantly call the Council but got no responses.

They also said that they were made to feel like criminals in some ways when the Judge told them to pay £260 per month and not to default.

It wasn't their fault in the first place!!

There is definitely a dearth of compassion these days for anyone in difficulties and I'm sick of seeing these upbeat reports about recovery and declining unemployment as there's still precious little jobs in our local paper and the local Food Bank's reporting an increase of 15% lately.

At least these people still have a roof over their head though. stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top