Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MaryFez
New Member!
North Wales, UK
MaryFez is female 

15-10-2014, 10:45 AM

The Big Switch On!

Who's got their heating on already?

We've had ours on for a good while now but I was having a look online for some videos to reset my boiler (I didn't want to admit to my husband that I didn't know how to do it!)

i found this one from CORGI HomePlan who we have an account with and thought it was really helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhaPXECpxT8

I also saw from their twitter that they have a new website. it's a helpful read and prompted me to get a CO alarm (something else I knew nothing about!)

You might find it helpful too so i thought i'd share:

http://corgi-homeplan-how-safe-is-your-home.org

Who else has switched on? We have ours on for 3 hours in the morning and 3 early evening. It still gets cold but I know it's going to be expensive to up the anti in winter.

Has anyone got any energy saving tips they'd like to share with me?

Thanks,
Mary
x
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 10:52 AM

Re: The Big Switch On!

Hi Mary ,i set my boiler to come on at a certain temperature .
The way you have it set it will be heating a cold house up each time ,not economical.
Be sure to have good insulation to keep the heat in ,close curtains at night ,
I have a co alarm ,i think every home should have one.
MaryFez
New Member!
North Wales, UK
MaryFez is female 

15-10-2014, 11:03 AM

We have a big old house, so I never really know the best approach to heating it, but insulation with curtains is a great idea.

I had no idea about the CO stuff - quite scary really. Glad I have one anyway!

Thanks for your reply!

Mx
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 11:30 AM

We have had our heating on a couple of times this week, when I pointed out to my husband that we don't normally give in, his reply was well we are getting on a bit now. The cheek.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 11:49 AM

Got a blanket out for each of us really not keen on putting the heating on until we are well into November, later if we can get away with it.

Lucky here we have neighbours both sides and above and below so we get their shared heat !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 12:41 PM

We got some blackout curtains on Amazon, they attach to your existing fitting behind your curtain. We opted for the new silver version, which is a lot better than the older version.
Hello Mary - welcome
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 12:44 PM

No big switch on, we just leave the timer alone and the thermostat takes care of it. It has only just started to come on in the mornings for maybe 30 mins and only occasionally in the evening. The money we spent upgrading the insulation has really paid off, but we rarely close the lounge curtains as the double glazing is very efficient.

No CO alarm because the oil fired boiler is an outdoor one. (we don't have gas).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 01:12 PM

I have had the heating on occasionally in the last week or so usually in the evening.

I don't usually put it on until the frost arrives but my son got very cross recently and said I must have it on.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 01:31 PM

I have storage radiators, and hate them. ATM, no, they've not been switched on yet. Like Julie I'm waiting for the real cold.

In recent weeks I've used a portable heater, and then only to take the chill off. I have too many hot flushes (still!) to warrant the heating going on.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 06:24 PM

I rarely have the heating on before November although I do sometimes light the fire earlier in the year. My economy policy is to not allow myself to get used to it being warm...I'm hoping to have a multifuel stove soon and with luck that will mean the heating is on much less than previously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top