Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 08:45 PM

Tattie picking

Half term again, commonly known as 'Tattie picking' here.
These days it's all mechanised and the the roads are busy with tractors pulling trailer loads of local potatoes such as 'Premier' and 'Kerrs Pink'.

Of course to the school kids, it just means two weeks holiday and so far, the weather has been quite nice.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:17 PM

Re: Tattie picking

Ive picked acres of tatos,along with acres of every thing else ,then when the first machines came on the scene it was usually me that followed picking the tatos left behind ,while the others were on the machine picking the bad ones out . I love the smell of freshly turned earth .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 10:29 PM

It isn't half term till next week here.
I can't see many young ones picking tatties these days.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 10:51 PM

My missus won't have any potatoes for chips other than Maris Pipers (I think that's the name) from Scotland, very popular here in Dublin, gets the big bags delivered from our local greengrocer, she makes a lot of chips for the grandkids and she says they are the best, so do the kids, tell them to keep 'em coming George.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 06:00 AM

Used to go tattie picking when i was 12, hard day in the fields for a few coppers, was allowed to take some spuds home in a sack balanced on the handlebars of my bike which i pushed 2 miles home. I hate potatoes wont eat the things, family were happy though.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 03:26 PM

Those were the days!!-break your back but the money was good,One shilling nine pence a bag and my best was 13 bags an hour. Pity was we cleared a field in a morning.

And the Italian women!!-I was dead skinny back then I they teased me rotten-Stefano you need pasta to make you strong,they used to bring me food,slapped my thighs in the van that picked us up. Allora those days must have left an impression because I met Jenny in an Italian evening class many years later.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top