Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 12:41 PM

village life

I'm staying in an Ayrshire village this weekend. I've just been out for a walk round the village and am touched by the friendliness of its occupants. Every one of them said hello or stopped and passed the time of day. I live in one of the biggest town's in Scotland, so it's like a breath of fresh air to me . Although I do love my town dearly. Nice to sample village life though! Added to which, by coincidence, I've recently found out that many of my ancestors lived around this village.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 12:51 PM

Re: village life

My Mum lived in a village in Essex, which was very close to a larger town, where she moved to the sheltered housing. And in fact my brother followed suit.

Whenever I stayed there, if she walked round to the shop she would invariably be a long time, and claim on returning 'I met so and so, and so and so, and we had a chat.' And as for Christmas cards...by heck it seemed as though nearly everyone had sent her one (though it wasn't, but looked like it.). She had lines and lines of them on her walls. I'd be lucky if all mine filled up a door!!

It definitely seemed friendlier.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 01:31 PM

That’s what I love about visiting the country and it takes me back there year after year, it's the friendliness of the ordinary folk, it always reassures me that the true nature of most people is still there in this grab all world.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 02:05 PM

Sad to say village life around here is going nowhere-no shop,no school and folks getting older. Even my friends are pleased I`m going and selling up to a couple expecting a 3rd child.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 02:43 PM

OG there are a couple of still thriving shops here. Peter the butcher especially . I know what you mean though and it's sad. My huge town isn't the same because of nearby shopping malls. Kills a town
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 03:47 PM

I live in a large thriving village, most people pass the time of day with you, and what could be just a 'quick walk into the village anf back' can take ages because you are forever bumping into friends or acquaintances.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

11-10-2014, 06:23 PM

Pats I had a sampling of that today . Still nice though, being a townie
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 10:00 PM

I grew up in a village,went to school at the village CP,roamed the fields with no fear(pity about the evil git who spawned me)and knew every one.

But village life is no longer `The Archers`

This is a nice village but I`m moving just 3 miles to a small town where I can walk to the supermarket and the leisure centre.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 10:17 PM

I love and miss village life. I loved everything about it. I loved walking along and people wave or stop for a chat, I loved how village people help each other, I loved the sounds and smells, and seeing the changing seasons better, and I even loved the dog walks!
The downside can be everyone knows each others business, but if you've not done anything wrong, what does that matter.
I'm not a townie by any means.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

11-10-2014, 10:28 PM

Townie to yokel

I say you peasant what is that smell?

That be us a muck spreading

Is it always like this?

Why no Sir, wait while we get to spreading the slurry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top