Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2014, 08:53 PM

If only I had/hadn't done that.

We all have to make decisions but sometimes decisions are made for you whether you like it or not. When we look back on our lives we often think “If only I had done the other thing I would be better off today”. But would you? look at it the other way, in my case for example, if I hadn’t had an accident on my bike and was hospitalised for three weeks I would probably be in Germany now.
I was to go there back in 1964 with a German workmate, he set everything up, job, digs, travel arrangements, everything, the money was great and the work was permanent, and as I was very young I was all excited about it. I had said goodbye to the girlfriend I was engaged to and after much weeping and gnashing of teeth etc., I got on my Honda 50 auto bike to go home and prepare for the trip in the coming days . As I came to the crossroads the lights turned green and I started to go through but a car came from nowhere breaking the lights at speed, I was hurled into the air and back down on my head, I was a goner only for the crash helmet, cracked right down the middle it was, I was lucky just to get a few broken bones and I was conked out for a day or so, the police never traced the car and I’ll always remember the first question the copper asked me at the hospital when I woke up “Did you get the car registration?”, God I didn’t even know my own name, but that’s another story. Anyway the trip was off and my mate went without me and that was the end of that. The girlfriend visited me in hospital and we got back together again, and we still are together happy as Larry and all because of an accident, funny old world aint it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2014, 10:14 PM

Re: If only I had/hadn't done that.

It's fate Jem...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2014, 10:18 PM

If only I had done the other thing I would be better off today”.
Jem we have no way of knowing if we would have been better off had we had done a certain thing.We could have been worse off.

Better to accept that we are where we are now .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 04:54 AM

Maybe in another universe the accident didn't happen and you did go to Germany and also lived happily ever after.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 07:39 AM

There have been moments in my life when I could've made different decisions, but I'm more than happy with my lot as it is.
No regrets my end.

Ah. That just reminded me of this wonderful 80-year-old lady who sang No Regrets on BGT a few years back.
Sadly, she has since passed away.
This is just one more wonderful memory she has given her family.

She starts singing just before the 2 minute mark.

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 08:48 AM

Jackie - I loved your post - what a wonderful memory to leave behind
I had shivers - FAB !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Jem - it was fate and the life you have had in dear ol Ireland with a wonderful family, well - who could ask for anything more
An awful experience to get you there all the same ......

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top