Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 04:15 PM

DIY with a Bang!

We've been trying to tidy-up our kitchen & outhouse area, which is now incorporated into the kitchen too so I've painted and laid cork tiles and it's al looking much nicer but my wife wanted the tumble dryer moved so I had a bit of a think and bought an IKEA coffee table to use as a worktop to cover this and fitted it today.

Well, I measured it all up, bought some special fitting yesterday so I was all geared-up but I forgot my cardinal rule - I didn't do a wall cable check!

I drilled straight through a circuit and all the sockets tripped-out!

I'm lucky I didn't electrocute myself really but it's all resolved now and although the table top didn't quite work out to fit how I wanted, (walls not square!), the end result is pretty cool with the tumble dryer tucked underneath my table top "shelf" that cost £8 in IKEA!

My wife's happy too but moanin about the kitchen ceiling that need daubing with emulsion.

It's all go at our 'ouse, tha' knows! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 04:19 PM

Re: DIY with a Bang!

Phew - that was close - pleased it worked out alright in the end .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 05:46 PM

gosh Steve you did well to live to tell the tale...
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 07:26 PM

My hubby drilled through a water pipe in our kitchen wall from where an old sink used to be. Fortunately there was a plumber who lived just up the road from us.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 07:54 PM

Well done Steve, if the wife is happy and moaning (the two always go together with them ) that means she's over the moon with the work, you can relax now with a long cool drink.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 08:20 PM

Well done Steve, lateral thinking there.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2014, 06:48 PM

I visited my eldest son yesterday, the retired firefighter who one would have thought was well into 'Elf & safety. Earlier that day the bulb in the hall light had blown but in removing the faulty bulb the glass shattered leaving the metal collar of the bulb still in the socket. While struggling to remove the broken bulb he didn't hear his six year old Granddaughter walk down the hall and turn the light on! His wife said you could hear him yell from the bottom of the garden. Moral of the story?...TURN OFF THE MAIN SWITCH OR REMOVE THE FUSE WHEN WORKING WITH ELECTRICITY!!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Steve, what did it cost you to repair the circuit? Even I use one of those testers, and I'm a woman!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Steve, what did it cost you to repair the circuit? Even I use one of those testers, and I'm a woman!
Like an idiot I'd drilled into a wall just above a socket Jazzi.

If I'm at work I use a tester all the time but at home I just wanted to get the job done and rushed it and I blew the main fuse.

We do not use that socket anyway as I thought that the electrician we had in to do some work years ago had disconnected it from the circuit, which is also why I never checked!

He said it was in poor condition at the time but we've never used it.

It's not in the circuit now and has a blanking plate instead of a socket; my next door neighbour's an electrician. stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 06:15 PM

Ah, that's a relief!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top