Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Humanist funerals

That's probably about 4 or 5 humanist funerals I've been at over the last few years. I have to say that I've actually "enjoyed" the experience. I went to my neighbour's funeral yesterday and had the same experience. By the end of the service you actually "knew" the person they had spoken about. You listened intently to the speaker, you laughed with the speaker, you had a lump in your throat with the speaker. You felt good afterwards. Not sad, but uplifted.

I know which I'll choose.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 12:29 PM

Re: Humanist funerals

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I know which I'll choose.
Me too........I have attended a few and our funerals are already arranged and paid for.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 12:37 PM

Funerals are always sad. My plan is to have it said Steph was always odd-miss him but get to the bar because the buggar only left so much for drinks.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Me too........I have attended a few and our funerals are already arranged and paid for.
Great idea. Something less for families to worry about at a difficult enough time. I know a few people who have done the same.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 02:25 PM

I've heard of these of course but don't really have a clear idea of what they're about.
Are they a none religious funeral? - and if so, how do they manage without a church and vicar? Who conducts the service and where is it held?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

03-10-2014, 02:43 PM

The ones I've attended have been held in the Crematorium. Not a vicar in sight. Performed by a Humanist Officient. They are more interested in the person who has died rather than a god, heaven or hell. It's an extremely personal service and they go through the person's life, from birth, until death. Like a story of their life. So interesting and uplifting.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 03:05 PM

It's what I would like too, I don't like the idea of no service of any kind, I would like something to mark my passing from this life with my children and their children present and with a little event afterwards involving some food and drink, maybe a toast to my life.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 04:03 PM

I have only been to one humanist led funeral, but I must say, I was impressed and will choose the same for when I go.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
The ones I've attended have been held in the Crematorium. Not a vicar in sight. Performed by a Humanist Officient. They are more interested in the person who has died rather than a god, heaven or hell. It's an extremely personal service and they go through the person's life, from birth, until death. Like a story of their life. So interesting and uplifting.
Yes..they have to conform with all the legalities of death and disposal of the bodies....but the rest is down to personal choice.

There is no legal obligation to have any form of religious service whatsoever.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 05:11 PM

We had a humanist funeral for OH, which was what he wanted. His daughter and I chose three pieces of music which we thought reflected his interests and personality.

I then read 'My letter to 'S' which was a mixture of the funny times we had together, his experience at work and his love for us all. I was able to do it apart from one wobble at the end - I think adrenalin carried me through, although the service organiser was always there just in case. He was so warm and understanding.

Funerals are always sad occasions, but V and I wanted it to be a celebration of a life, not a concentration on the obviously aching loss which we felt. I think we managed this - smiles amidst the grief.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top