Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mbwoman
New Member!
Myrtle Beach, SC
mbwoman is female 

02-10-2014, 05:57 PM

I'm Over 50 . . . How did THAT happen?

Hi all! I have been searching for a forum for "Over 50s" for some time. The internet is so SO full of so SO many things and it is hard to narrow in.

I am 54, divorced but in a relationship and have two "almost grown" sons. My older son is 20 and out on his own (at least he is today!). My younger son is a senior in high school and has plans to go away to college in the fall (providing he makes all the right choices during his senior year!).

This is one of the reasons why I am seeking out some birds of a feather. I have been working at a university for the past 17 years. In my current position for 6. Although I like the culture and security of a university (and the hours are GREAT!) I am facing my "next step" in life. With my son going off to school next year I no longer have to live in a certain school district. Or the same house, city, or state if I don't want to. I want to move to a more rural area - my current place of residence is growing waaaaay too fast! I am VERY bored with my current position and know that I cannot possibly do this for the next 15 years. I wish I was one of those folks who had a lifelong calling and the courage and means to pursue it once the kids are on their own. But I am not. But I want to be.

So as not to make this a three page intro let me throw this out there . . . for those of you who decided to just "do something different" . . . how did you find out what that was??

Too generic a question? I will try to hone in on something specific. Just wanted to get my middle-aged feet wet!

Cheers!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 06:02 PM

Re: I'm Over 50 . . . How did THAT happen?

Hi Vivian . a very warm welcome to Over50s....

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 06:25 PM

Hello Vivian welcome, I look forward to chatting with you..

So as not to make this a three page intro let me throw this out there . . . for those of you who decided to just "do something different" . . .how did you find out what that was??
Vivian try different things , then you will know.
I have done many things over the years. There is usually some positive aspect to anything you choose to do and remember if you are not enjoying something you can always change again .
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 06:46 PM

Welcome MB!

I like the intro!

I think we've all done that at some time but now I barely remember getting to 50 years old - and I'm 63 now. stevmk2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 06:56 PM

Just as I was thinking I'm over fifty...I realized I was 60!

As for doing something different, I think I may be the most "different" person on here! Steampunk!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 07:43 PM

Hi Vivian
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Welcome to the forum Vivian. Hope you enjoy yourself.
I always knew what I wanted to do when I retired as I was
still working when I was 50. I do Ancestry, Travel, go to the
Bingo, all over the Country, which helps if you travel.
Talk online which I didn't plan as it was unheard of years ago.
So we all do something we like. I am sure after trying out a few
things it will click what you really want to do. Good luck with it.
regards
Sandy
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 08:35 PM

Hello Vivian and a very warm welcome to you.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 09:05 PM

Hello and welcome from me too.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 10:26 PM

Hi Vivian, I would say don't make any drastic decisions just yet there is plenty of time, life will change whatever happens and nothing stays the same.
Sometimes when a lot of things are happening it's best to let them happen, give the kids a chance to settle and then plan your next move. They are still young and even in their 20's they need your support and to be 'there' for them in their lives. Mine are in their 30's but you are a parent all your life and they always appreciate the support. Give it a while and they will be looking after me!
Meanwhile you can research and consider plans for the future and possible moves to other places.
Enjoy the forum !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top