Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 11:53 AM

At the garden gate

Help, I have turned into one of those cranky old men who stand at their garden gate watching the world go by, sometimes rather disapprovingly at that.

I don’t know exactly when it happened, the turning into this personae . I may have been waiting for nurse Gillian to return home. I may have been tidying up the bay topiary bordering our tiny front patch of garden.
I am fond of wearing my Panama hat in the garden & I take great pleasure in doffing my hat to female passers by. It never fails to bring a smile to their faces, such an old fashioned thing to do.

Upon reflection i think I may have progressed straight from a
“net twitcher” to a fully fledged “dozy old fart standing at the garden gate” in one fell swoop when we had pigeon trouble.
our car is parked in a disabled space outside our home. Opposite is the cemetery and huge oak trees one of which overhangs our car. I said they were huge!.
Well, every night pigeons roost in the same spot , and doing copious poo parcels which coat our car every morning.
It’s only on our car. I had a brainwave...............
I bought some helium filled bright red balloons & released them to catch on the tree & scare the pigeons. 3 of the 4 balloons went straight up through the tree into the atmosphere. The 4th one lodged very firmly near the top. At this point a dozen crows fled the tree. They have never returned, the poo has stopped.
Where was I?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 12:11 PM

Re: At the garden gate

Robert you are a character ,there was a couple in the village i left and i miss these people .where i live now everyone is behind closed door you only
see them when they get in their cars to go shopping .

Its people like you who make the world go round a little happier for some ,when i had no one to talk to i would walk round my village in the knowledge i would have a conversation with Mushy ,he was one who stood at his garden gate ,always had a conversation for the passing villagers .
He would talk about his garden ,what he was growing and how to grow anything you didn't know .
Then it would go on to people in the village ,who had died ,who had new babies.
I would go home with a lovely feeling of content that there was people worth stopping for and having a friendly conversation .
So i would say to you carry on standing at the garden gate tipping your hat at any one passing , you are doing the community a service .
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 12:18 PM

I think it's very sweet, Robert. My neighbour wears a panama hat when gardening and has trouble with birds pooping while sitting on a high wire near his house - wonder if the hat is attracting them?!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 12:20 PM

There are several men who stand at their gates on our dog walk every day, have to say I very much enjoy their cheery good morning and whatever comment they wish to make about my dogs. Makes my day that little bit lighter so carry on I say. You may just be making someone's day with the tip of your hat !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 12:43 PM

Yes take heart dear RJ - you are a welcome sight, I would love to see you stood at the garden gate
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 02:56 PM

http://www.over50sforum.com/image.ph...7&type=profile

Me with my panama hat on..........oops AND latest grandchild WITH sticks.no hoops though.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
http://www.over50sforum.com/image.ph...7&type=profile

Me with my panama hat on..........oops AND latest grandchild WITH sticks.no hoops though.
What a delightful photo Robert, one to treasure

Regarding standing at the garden gate, I would welcome chatting with you at the garden gate anytime ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Help, I have turned into one of those cranky old men who stand at their garden gate watching the world go by,
..and why not Robert someone has to do it
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 05:36 PM

Don't ever change, RJ! You sound a very sweet man with good old fashioned manners.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2014, 08:01 PM

I agree with Eliza, you are doing a service RJ, tipping your hat and smiling at passers by, reassures folks that there are still pleasant people about, long may you continue to do so, although it might get a little chilly later on in the month, you might have to don a muffler.
And the birds have flown, you'll have nothing to crow about now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top