Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2014, 11:49 AM

filled in tumble dryer vent

Been to wickes building supplies for a few bricks and morter. WE notices a couple of slugs in the uitility room and they were coming in through a dryer vent in the outside wall. So chopped out one and a half bricks to square the hole and rebricked it to match the other bricks . that was in the front of the house so no more ugly air vent cover and did the same in the back of the house wall.

What annoys me is they are such easy jobs to do yet the previous owners just could not be bothered. They don't deserve to live in any house

The left side of the larger brick looks as if it is protruding but infact it is flush with the others but it is where I wet brushed away cement on the brick edge
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2014, 12:05 PM

Re: filled in tumble dryer vent

Would you like to move near me Bazza I can find lots of little jobs to keep you busy
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Perhaps the previous tenant used the vent, would love one ourselves but we aren't allowed one so have to keep the window open which is fine in the summer but not so much fun in the winter.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2014, 01:31 PM

Not a good idea Bazza - the air vent should have had a mesh grill over the hole - now - where is all that hot air going to go, so 'if' you are using the tumble dryer - it could set fire .......
If you're 'not' using a tumble dryer, forget the above
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2014, 03:24 PM

We have condensing tumble dryer so it needs no outside vent. it was not an air vent that is something entirely different and with a solid floor you don't even actually need any vents.

Air vents are normally for suspended wooden ground floors so the can circulate underneath to prevent dry rot, you can also get them high up in a room as well to prevent condensation in a room such as bathroom or kitchen.

See I knows it is a condensing tumble dryer cause "er who must be obeyed" told me. But how to use it is another matter.
I am a man and men don't know about these things
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2014, 03:29 PM

I get it now - except for the solid floor - which we have, but as your dryer is different to ours ......
It is an air vent - hot air and fluff shoots through, sometimes gets clogged with all the fluff and have to remove the grill and clean it out .......
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

29-09-2014, 03:31 PM

just added about solid/suspended floors. worth looking up condensing tumble dryers then Patsy
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

29-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
just added about solid/suspended floors
Ooooo - too deep for me - only know what I know and before I moved here - didn't know that !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top