Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 12:19 AM

Warning

I have just received this email purporting to be from Amazon, but this mail has come to an email address I do not use for Amazon and never have. Therefore I am presuming this is yet another scam, so if you use Amazon beware of this email.

Your Amazon.com password has been changed

Inbox
x

account-update@amazon.com <account-update@amazon.com>

01:11 (3 minutes ago)

to me

Hello ********

This is an important message from Amazon.com

At Amazon we take your security and privacy very seriously. As part of our routine monitoring, we discovered a list of email address and password sets posted online. While the list was not Amazon-related, we know that many customers reuse their passwords on several websites. We believe your email address and password set was on that list. So we have taken the precaution of resetting your Amazon.com password. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused but felt that it was necessary to help protect you and your Amazon account.

To regain access to your Amazon customer account:

1. Go to Amazon.com and click the "Your Account" link at the top of our website.

2. Click the link that says "Forgot your password?"

3. Follow the instructions to set a new password for your account.

Please choose a new password and do not use the same password you used with us previously. We also highly recommend that you chose a password that you are not using on any other sites. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Amazon.com

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our website.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 01:10 AM

Re: Warning

Blimey clumsy, that's not good. I think this sort of thing is a real worry nowadays. Lucky you had your wits about you, well done.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 03:05 AM

When you hover (not click) your mouse over a reply link look down the bottom left of your browser and see if the actual address matches the supposed address. That is a big giveaway

In this case however it might not be a scam Amazon HAS had security problems particularly with Kindle but with other areas too.

http://www.ktcdigital.com/2014/09/yo...-been-changed/

Go to their web site independently and check from there. Don't use the email to go the Amazon Web site.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 06:42 AM

Great advice Bruce and thanks Loretta .....
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 06:55 AM

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/amazon-pa...est-scam.shtml

This is a phishing exercise and not genuine. If in doubt, always check out Hoax Slayer.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/amazon-pa...est-scam.shtml

This is a phishing exercise and not genuine. If in doubt, always check out Hoax Slayer.
Be careful, the wording is not the same (actually not even similar)
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 11:14 AM

I like to think I am always careful with this kind of thing but the biggest warning sign for me re this particular mail was that it has been sent to an email account I donīt use for Amazon and never have done. No way would I open the link sent in this email.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 11:56 AM

See below it appears this may be related to a hacking attempt...

http://hackingnews.com/cyber-crime/a...sword-changed/

sorry have Hannah here so so not read through it.

I would delete the email then check things out with Amazon directly..
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

23-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Oh my, now Iīm really confused. I will check my Amazon account later today but I am still unsure because as I stated, this email came to an email address I do not, and never have used for Amazon, but I havenīt received the "spam" mail in the account I do use for Amazon, and have done for years, so I find it all very odd.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Oh my, now Iīm really confused. I will check my Amazon account later today but I am still unsure because as I stated, this email came to an email address I do not, and never have used for Amazon, but I havenīt received the "spam" mail in the account I do use for Amazon, and have done for years, so I find it all very odd.
Loretta genuine or not I would delete the email you can always check directly with Amazon if there is a problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top