Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 02:04 PM

Grrrrr

Don't you just hate it when you buy a new book and then discover it's book three of a trilogy and you haven't read books one & two?
This just happened to me - I bought a new best seller by Leslie Pearce the other day and have just read a chapter before realising it was a continuing story. I am going to abandon it now and go on Amazon for books one & two.

For goodness sake why can't it say it's the 1st/2nd/3rd of a trilogy on the cover?

Grrrr and double Grrrrr....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 02:10 PM

Re: Grrrrr

Originally Posted by carol ->

For goodness sake why can't it say it's the 1st/2nd/3rd of a trilogy on the cover?

You're lucky it wasn't the fourth book in the trilogy.

51Female
Indiana, USA
51Female is female 

22-09-2014, 02:51 PM

I agree! It should say something. I love to read, and this has happened to me a few times!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Don't you just hate it when you buy a new book and then discover it's book three of a trilogy and you haven't read books one & two?
This just happened to me - I bought a new best seller by Leslie Pearce the other day and have just read a chapter before realising it was a continuing story. I am going to abandon it now and go on Amazon for books one & two.

Not your week is it gal - we don't ask for much - I say ggrrrr too !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Not your week is it gal - we don't ask for much - I say ggrrrr too !

Just what I was thinking Patsy. Carol, you'd better go back to bed and start this week over again I think.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 05:50 PM

What annoys me is reading a dust cover to find out about the book only to read all sorts of rubbish but not a word about the plot.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 07:23 PM

I'm an avid reader and I've been caught out a few times with this sort of thing!

It's particularly annoying when you just get into a book and the storyline refers to some past incident that doesn't feature in the book you are reading and you discover that vital information you need to understand part of the plot was in a previous book that you haven't read.

If it says it's a trilogy - even in four parts () you'd stand a chance of spotting that on the outside, the back or maybe secreted away in the front / back somewhere but some authors now write books around a particular character or characters and they tend to follow-on from previous books.

The assumption seems to be that we're all avid fans of certain authors and slavishly buy every "Detective Fred Bloggs" character book for example - but we don't all do that!

The last time I got caught out with a trilogy was a book about the Maya that I thought was a one-off only to find it was Book 2 as I started reading it!

By the time I'd bought all three and read three chapters of the 2nd book I realised it was descending into complete and utter tosh so I'd wasted damn-near £20!

These days I'm very careful and if a book hints at be sequel or prequel or part of a trilogy or whatever I don't buy it unless I've either read the author before and enjoyed his / her writing or I've actually read and still have book 1, 2 or 3 because I discovered my error before dumping the book as I usually do with Cancer Research! stevmk2
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 10:25 AM

Oh Carol it is so frustrating, this has also happened to me, you just get settled down to have a good old read and then you end up being miffed.

Hope you get the other two at a reasonable price.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Just what I was thinking Patsy. Carol, you'd better go back to bed and start this week over again I think.
I know but my week is looking up now.

My nice bank have paid me the money taken fraudulently from my account and they are now going to try and get it back from the nasty people.

I found the books I want on Amazon.

My luck is changing.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2014, 06:28 PM

YAY - I Iove a good ending

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top