Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 07:49 AM

My New Ereader

I have had an eReader (Sony PRS650) for a few years and it had many excellent features, a number of which I never used. It was showing its age not least of them was the diminishing battery life - about a week was all it could manage if I used it every day.

Had a look around and there is not a lot of choice, definitely didn't want a Kindle Fire (really just a crippled Android tablet - I have a proper android tablet already) when suddenly Sony offered a bundled reader and cover with light for less than $100. Had to have it and it arrived today.

It is not a patch on my old reader but it is nothing like the price either, my old reader had a metal case, stylus, SD & MMC expansion card access, Sound/MP3 ability and best of all a leather case.

The new one is a plastic ereader full stop! It is also much smaller, lighter and slimmer - though the screen size is exactly the same however it has WiFi but that is probably the one feature I won't use. The screen is not backlight hence the need for the light but I find it is much easier to read and far gentler on your eyes than a tablet. At the moment it is on charge so I can't really say how it operates yet.

The new one is at the top my dear old faithful the bottom, you can see the difference is size quite clearly (but remember the two screens are exactly the same size).
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 07:55 AM

Re: My New Ereader

Very strange writing on the bottom one Bruce!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Very strange writing on the bottom one Bruce!
One of its features was that it could display photos that one is a QR code which gives my contact details. I doubt the new one does that either.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Very smart Bruce but I still prefer the feel and smell of 'real' books
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 10:16 AM

I like them paper things Bruce, with my luck with gadgetry i feel im on safer ground.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 10:21 AM

I would be lost now without my ereader.

I do also read books but if I am going to work or going out taking my ereader saves me taking too many things with me.
Driller
UK
Driller is male 

22-09-2014, 12:19 PM

I've been contemplating an e-reader, but have been looking at the Nook or the Kobo. I discounted the Sony as they have recently announced they won't be making any more after the current one.
Kindle is a "no no" as I mostly use library books which are only available in the EPUB format.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

22-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Driller ->
I've been contemplating an e-reader, but have been looking at the Nook or the Kobo. I discounted the Sony as they have recently announced they won't be making any more after the current one.
Kindle is a "no no" as I mostly use library books which are only available in the EPUB format.
Yes, that is true about Sony hence the bargains to be had at the moment. It is a sign of the market dominance of Amazon I am afraid.

You can use a program like Calibre to convert epub to Mobi (is that right for Kindle) and manage a Kindle but I can't see the point of buying a Android tablet that has been doctored to only be able to download from Amazon. Why not just buy an Android tablet then you can buy books from anywhere including Amazon?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

22-09-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Very smart Bruce but I still prefer the feel and smell of 'real' books
Originally Posted by Nom ->
I like them paper things Bruce, with my luck with gadgetry i feel im on safer ground.
Owning an ereader doesn't preclude reading the old fashioned paper books, it is not an either/or situation. However it does means that you can carry a 1000 books in a book smaller than a single paperback.

Which would you rather carry on the train?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Looks good Bruce - I love my Kindle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top