Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 03:48 PM

Hitchhiking

Would you ever give a ride to someone & have you ever hitchhiked?
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 03:55 PM

Re: Hitchhiking

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
No and no.

There is no way on this earth I would ever consider it. You are opening yourself to all sorts of danger. It might seem the charitable thing to give someone a lift, but would you still be thinking that when you can feel the tip of a blade pressing into your ribs?

There are just too many nut-jobs around.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 04:02 PM

Same as Graham - definitely not ......
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 04:15 PM

Have I hitched a lift?-hundreds of miles when younger. I never took lorries though,far too slow. Usually it was males who had decent cars and,I assume,sons or daughters about my age.

Most men said they would pick up a bloke but never a single girl

I once took a ride with a chap who asked what I would say If he were to say he were (the new word) gay?

Fine by me -your hand is on the steering wheel and my disecting kit is in my pocket.

I never had children

Would I like them `Hitching`? I guess not-but it was fun
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 04:38 PM

Not these days
I have only ever given a lift once to a young Australia .
I did except lifts when younger.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 04:39 PM

I once gave a lift to a chap who, after he had got in the car, proceeded to tell me that he had just been released from prison ! He then went on to say that the previous night he had got blinding drunk and had sex not knowing whether it was with a woman or an animal. Needless to say that was the first and last time.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
When in my twenties (When the world was definately a different place) yes I did occassionaly give a lift to hitch hikers, most often when they were in uniform since (In those days) our military boys & gals were allowed to wear their uniforms in public and I knew they were saving their travel money to supplement their pay.

Together with some friends I also hitch hiked all around France on two occassions, had a great time, once on my own I was 'picked up' by two posh ladies in a big Citroen, my French wasn't all that good but I think they wanted me join them at their home for some Champagne, I tactfully declined (It was in the heart of the Champagne district BTW)

Now, no way far too risky.
GrumpyOldMan
USA
GrumpyOldMan is male  GrumpyOldMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 05:12 PM

Never hitchhiked or picked up a hitcher. I guess I'm just too cautious but prefer not to put myself in a situation that could be dangerous.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Never hitchhiked and I can't say that I would pick up a hitchhiker either.

However, once when I went to pick up my daughter from her boyfriends house I saw two young boys (probably 14/15) one of them lying half on the pavement and half on the road, the other was crying, trying to pick him up. I stopped the car and quickly realised they were drunk, but I couldn't leave the boy lying there so we got him and his friend in the back seat of my then beautiful Vauxhall Senator, and I threatened him "If he's sick on my leather seats, you will clean it up"

We got him to his grandfather's house, who was very grateful and apologised for his grandsons state. At no time did I think my daughter and I were in any danger from these boys (they were too drunk), but I realised afterwards there could have been other repercussions not knowing what story they would tell.

Maybe next time I won't be so charitable.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Not on your nellie nowadays although hitchhiked numerous times when young but always with a few girls. Used to give lift to hitchhikers. Shame it's too risky now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top