Join for free
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 11:21 PM

Opening Suitcase help!

Anyone know how to open a combination suitcase lock?

My son went to Malta on Tuesday but when he got to the other end he found he couldn't open the lock. The number he chose doesn't work, he's tried putting them back to zero but to no avail. He says he can just about open the zip to get stuff out (must have ripped it!)

I've told him to ask hotel staff but don't think he has.

If he doesn't open it properly he'll be living in the same clothes for 2 weeks or completely wrecking it and buying a new one to come home with.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 11:33 PM

Re: Opening Suitcase help!

have you tried searching the internet for help?
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 11:44 PM

Yes. There is a video on You Tube which I have forwarded to him but he cannot see it properly. It involves an elastic band! He'd never manage that!

Off to bed now. Will check in the morning to see if anyone has any bright ideas.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 11:46 PM

try to sleep and don't count suitcases, G'night
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 12:20 AM

i saw a video how to get in a suitcase without breaking it, get a ball point pen , stick the nib end into the middle part of teeth of zip and work it along , this opened it .
to close i think it was just a case of pulling the zip tag along like normal ..
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 01:34 AM

I don't know what kind of suitcase it is, but maybe this will help:

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_...mbination_lock
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 04:45 AM

Most of these combination locks are cheap and easy to open. The technique basically involves pushing the lock fairly hard toward the open position whilst rotating the combination one wheel at a time.

Because they are not accurately made one wheel will be in contact with the locking mechanism more than the other two. You turn each wheel in turn until you feel the lock give a little (and it will be a very little) the wheel will momentarily be freer then tighten as you get to the next number. Leave that wheel where it is (in the freest position) and repeat for the other wheels.

It might take a few goes but I suspect you will be able to open it that way. These cheap combination locks are not very secure they are more of a deterrent than a security device.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 05:01 AM

It happened to me once so I did the obvious thing, I got the hotel handyman to break it open. It damaged the suitcase beyond repair so I had to buy a new one. Still, I got to our clothes.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Thank you for the suggestions, I will look closer later.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 11:01 AM

It happened to me too. I got the hotel handyman to take the lock off with a pair of wirecutters (or perhaps that should be boltcutters).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top