Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2014, 09:33 PM

Happiness Index

I've just seen an article on the BBC website "ten signs of happiness published by ONS" - see:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15535717

It reads: "People are to be asked how satisfied they are with their husband, wife or partner, under government plans to measure the country's happiness."

Only recently I felt what a great life I have and how happy I've been feeling, fantastic summer, great friends and social life........... None of these feelings depend on a husband or partner, in fact I'm of the opinion that I really am happier by myself. Surely it's healthier to ascertain one's happiness independently of the influence of others?
So this "index" by the Office of National Statistics" is unfair, unbalanced and discriminatory!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2014, 10:19 PM

Re: Happiness Index

People are to be asked how satisfied they are with their husband, wife or partner, under government plans to measure the country's happiness.

The Office for National Statistics has published a list of 10 indicators of wellbeing, including health, education, income, work and trust in politicians.

A three-month consultation will now begin before a final list is published.

David Cameron's "happiness index" is intended to complement other measures of the state of the UK such as GDP
What a waste of time and money
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2014, 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=Lindyloo;531564]I've just seen an article on the BBC website "ten signs of happiness published by ONS" - see:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15535717

It reads: "People are to be asked how satisfied they are with their husband, wife or partner, under government plans to measure the country's happiness."

Only recently I felt what a great life I have and how happy I've been feeling, fantastic summer, great friends and social life........... None of these feelings depend on a husband or partner, in fact I'm of the opinion that I really am happier by myself. Surely it's healthier to ascertain one's happiness independently of the influence of others?
So this "index" by the Office of National Statistics" is unfair, unbalanced and discriminatory![/
QUOTE]

I agree with you Lindlyloo, in fact it seems a bit fishy to me. It sounds more like they're just snooping into our privacy if you ask me.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2014, 10:24 PM

Happiness is when the government don't waste public money on stupid surveys
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2014, 11:30 PM

Well it's a way of finding out how society is doing and how people are feeling. The partner or spouse question is only one question.
If the questions are asked over a period of time it will be seen whether society is becoming more unstable and people are more dissatisfied with their life or whether the opposite is true so policies can be adjusted accordingly.
I can see why it's being done, whether we agree with it or not is an individual thing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 12:57 AM

There is an international index published by the United Nations; from memory Scadinavian countries were top, Australia was about 10th and Britain about 25th.

I think I mentioned it ages ago somewhere in this forum but perhaps the UK government didn't like the results so made their own.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 07:21 AM

I've been getting occasional Facebook messages from David Cameron to "get feedback" on how they're doing...........
I can't find out now, so I suspect some of the feedback was a bit too hard to take!

This ONS index is a pure waste of public money and no doubt the results will be manipulated.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Is it only me who thinks that happiness cannot be measured?? Natural fluctuations all the time, probably on an hourly basis. What a load of waste this is, yet again...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 09:37 AM

Question shortlist
Are you satisfied with life?
Are you satisfied with your husband, wife or partner?
How satisfied are you with your mental and physical health?
Are you happy in your job?
Do you feel involved in your neighbourhood?
Are you happy with your personal income?
Are you satisfied with your education?
Data on how many voted and trust in Parliament will also be measured
Statistics on the economy will also be included
As will environmental factors, including greenhouse gas emissions and air pollutants
Happiness is a transient thing and that which brings happiness to one person would not do so for another.
For me it is a solitary walk, the gentle nuzzle on my dogs nose against my hand and watching my garden grow.

None of these things involve 'partners/neighbours/education/work/income'.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 12:13 PM

Im not going anywhere near Happiness. It would make my life a misery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top