Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 11:20 PM

Emergencies

They were doing a phone-in on local radio the other day. They were asking if any listeners had ever had to dial 999.
Have you?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 11:35 PM

Re: Emergencies

Yes, lots of times! But that was my job...
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 11:44 PM

yea me too
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 11:48 PM

Yes a few times .
Once when I was on night duty as a volunteer with a charity I heard a loud bang at 3am one morning .
Leaning out of the upstairs sash window I saw two boys smashing car windows with a for sale sign which they had taken from a garden.
The boys were rapidly approaching my car and I didn't want to go down and confront them so in an attempt to slow them down until the police arrived (the station which was about 2 minute away) I said in a loud voice 'What are you doing' . They couldn't see where the voice was coming from and stoped dead looking around .
Just then a police car arrived, stopped and the boys fled pursued by the policemen .
The police caught the boys , they were only 15 and one of them had some stolen goods on him.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 11:57 PM

Only once that I can remember. A young boy got knocked down by a car on the road right outside our shop. Somebody came running in the shop yelling for me to dial 999 for an ambulance.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 01:20 AM

Only twice. First time when one of my sons got badly beaten up and the second time when we had a mental patient turn up demanding his dog which we never boarded. Turns out the week before he drove a brand new freelander down into a ditch causing untold damage and left it there walking away.
The police came and took him away. He was sectioned as he was already under medical supervision . What I didn't know and may have got it a bit wrong, but from what I understand if a person already known to have a mental problem and starts being "funny" with anyone outside the family, then the authorities can get them sectioned. They won't section from complaints from family members
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 01:24 AM

I say anyone and I mean anyone caught stealing should have a finger amputated. Then not only anyone can see they are thieves but if they do it 10 times then that would stop them.

Well it is a thought anyway
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I say anyone and I mean anyone caught stealing should have a finger amputated. Then not only anyone can see they are thieves but if they do it 10 times then that would stop them.

Well it is a thought anyway
Agreed on that thought, but they should also be tattood with the word THIEF across their forehead as well.

I've only ever called emergency services four times and that was ambulances.

First was when I believed, no, knew - my mum was having a heart attack. I first called the night doctor and the phone was answered by his wife, who said her husband would be with us in due course. This was pre-mobile phone days. Not good enough for me, so I phoned for an ambulance instead, which turned out to be the right thing to do, albeit my mum died within a week of the call, although the ambulance responded very quickly.

The second was when I did a real number on my left arm with a fall which had launched me into non-recovery from tripping over something. Fortunately, on that occasion, I knew the ambulance driver personally and he rushed me through to a cubicle on a Saturday night at rush hour but because of a very serious dislocation involving the tearing of muscles, ligaments, sinews etc, which resulted in 18 months of physio, and to this day I can't straighten my left arm fully, but I can use it perfectly well - and that was around 20 years ago.

The third time was on 25 July 2008 when I came home after going out without my partner for the first time in 20 years or so. I'd tried to phone both his mobiles and the landline but no reply so panic set in. Luckily, I was able to walk home and, to cut a long story short, I found him dead on my kitchen floor, even though he'd never had a day's illness in his life. Ambulance service responded immediately, even though it was a busy Friday night for them.

The last time was on 5 April 2011 when I started to feel "funny" but I knew there was something wrong, so I phoned for an ambulance and, following tests, I had had a TIA, which is a transient ischaemic attack or, a mini stroke.

On each and every occasion the ambulance crews have responded within a very short space of time and they have been absolutely brilliant.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Had to call 999 quite a few times. I don't panic probably that's why its
me. I also seem to be around and near people who are going to collapse or be injured
I wouldn't call myself a Jonah but maybe a Florence in disguise
Enfys
South Wales
Enfys is female  Enfys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 08:27 AM

Had to ring 999 for an ambulance on two occasions-each one for my then husband who suffered from epilepsy and had two"fits". and was unconscious both times.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top