Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Proof of identity !

I have a small problem - I am flying to Dublin in October. Aer Lingus demand some form of proof of identity.

I do not currently own a driving license.

My passport is out of date and I am reluctant to renew it for a 'one off' trip. (and I object to having to have a passport to visit my own country anyway)

My bus pass has the requisite photo but not enough information.

The UK government has revoked ID cards.

How else am I to prove that I am me ??
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Re: Proof of identity !

I would take a small bag with the old passport as that will have a picture ID
Then something with an address and name on - like a bill for electric
Even the bus pass, at least there should be enough info with all three
Lucky you to visit dear ol Eire - wishing you a great time x
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 12:50 PM

A few years back my hubby flew with a Citizen Id card , i would look at your airline rules on what is accepted ,it should tell you .
A passport is a good form of ID for other purposes,Banks ask for a passport when you open an account , when we tried to sell a Bungalow we had to show ID,and a Passport was asked for ..so you not only use it for air travel ..Think about getting one its there then when the next time ID is called for ..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 01:04 PM

ST you could contact Aer Lingus online or by phone and ask what they will accept.

It is often anything which contains your name and address including recent bills (council tax are good) bank statements/ pension information letters etc.

ETA sorry Patsy I see am repeating some of the things you said already..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Yes Council tax bill !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 01:14 PM

You wouldn't believe the trouble I had with the Dr surgery which I have belong to for 30+ years when I wanted to sign up for their online service.
An officious receptionist said only a passport was acceptable as proof of identity then when I said I didn't have one she wanted me to make an appointment to see a Dr and have a recent photograph signed confirming who I was

I understand they need to be careful but that was just plain silly
I retuned with a council tax bill and a cheque book and said take it or leave it. There was a different receptionist on duty who laughed and said that was just fine.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

27-08-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
You wouldn't believe the trouble I had with the Dr surgery which I have belong to for 30+ years when I wanted to sign up for their online service.
An officious receptionist said only a passport was acceptable as proof of identity then when I said I didn't have one she wanted me to make an appointment to see a Dr and have a recent photograph signed confirming who I was

I understand they need to be careful but that was just plain silly
I retuned with a council tax bill and a cheque book and said take it or leave it. There was a different receptionist on duty who laughed and said that was just fine.
Yes - you usually get one amongst them
With us, we went online for the request, they then acknowledged that and said a letter would be sent.
We received the letters with personal ID numbers for each of us - simple ........We then type these in when we go online for the surgery -
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

27-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Yes - you usually get one amongst them
With us, we went online for the request, they then acknowledged that and said a letter would be sent.
We received the letters with personal ID numbers for each of us - simple ........We then type these in when we go online for the surgery -
Patsy that is far too easy and logical for some people
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have a small problem - I am flying to Dublin in October. Aer Lingus demand some form of proof of identity.

I do not currently own a driving license.

My passport is out of date and I am reluctant to renew it for a 'one off' trip. (and I object to having to have a passport to visit my own country anyway)
Doesn't the Motor Registry issue Non Driver Licenses/Proof of Identity cards which are acceptable as ID?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Doesn't the Motor Registry issue Non Driver Licenses/Proof of Identity cards which are acceptable as ID?
I haven't heard of those, Bruce, but will check it out. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top