Join for free
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 03:34 PM

The West Highland Way

I've done a few parts of the Way, but always have to turn back to walk back to the car . We plan to do the whole lot next year. They say May and September are the best months, although people come from all over the world, all year round.

Yesterday we had booked into The Oak Tree Inn, in the small village of Balmaha, at the edge of Loch Lomond. I've stayed there before and done a part of the Way. We decided to drive on and park at Rowardennan, then walk towards Inversnaid, which I've also done before. The sun shone and it was a beautiful day. There were lots of walkers out and many of them obviously doing the whole of the Way. Disappointingly, the low path that hugs the edge of the Loch was closed for work. Meant I couldn't show my partner Rob Roy's Prison, and also the black goats who apparently laid down outside the cave to protect him. When I saw the goats the last time I panicked as I was terrified. Needless to say, they were more scared of us. The low path is a bit like an obstacle course, but it's great for view of the loch, so we'll definitely go there again. We carried on for a while on the high path. The scenery is breathtaking. Often stopping for pics. Eventually the path split and it meandered down towards the loch, where a rowing boat had berthed. The three men were cooking sausages and burgers on a disposable bbq and it smelt delicious! They offered us something to eat as they said they had plenty, but we were looking for a nice spot to have our picnic. We found a spot at the end of the loch with two rocks which were perfect for seats. After lunch and admiring the view, we made our way back up on to the high path. Walking back we passed the ruins of a bothy and you can't help wondering who, and how many of them, lived in there. Absolutely fascinating. We arrived back at the Rowardennan Hotel, 9 miles later, then drove to the Oak Tree, feet a bit sore and legs aching slightly. Booked in, dropped off our luggage, then sat outside and had a well deserved glass of wine. In the sunshine. What a beautiful day we had and I'm so proud of Scotland.

We're planning our next step of the Way and are looking forward to it already.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 04:41 PM

Re: The West Highland Way

I am so jealous of you Alice,,id love to be in your shoes walking it .Last time we went to Loch Lommond we went a short way to a village which was used on a tv programme called Take the High Road ,,Have you been there ?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Hi Alice, the WHW was the first long distance footpath that I ever walked........at the ripe old age of 50 ! I well remember walking the eastern bank of loch Lomond, very hard work.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 04:56 PM

Eliza that would be Luss . Lovely wee place where the High Road was filmed. Thank you for commenting.

Alan, thank you for commenting . It's good to see people who enjoy walking and can share a tale or two.

I had a wee blog on another site about my walks and it went down well. This is a far bigger sight so folk might not be interested.

Walking opens up a whole new world.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Beautiful part of the world, walking this was a goal i hoped i would do one day, ever since i saw a programme with Jimmy McGregor walking the whole route. Are you planning to do Ben Nevis at the end of it. ?
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 06:31 PM

I stayed at Fort William last year and saw walkers on the WHW ... I was itching to join them !!! I was on coach trip ... no walking boots with me ! ... so the opportunity didn't arise

Alice ... I love walking but only about 7 miles .. but I have loads of walking books which I love to read and I did go on a forum to read about their walks ... pity I've forgotten the name of it!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I stayed at Fort William last year and saw walkers on the WHW ... I was itching to join them !!! I was on coach trip ... no walking boots with me ! ... so the opportunity didn't arise

Alice ... I love walking but only about 7 miles .. but I have loads of walking books which I love to read and I did go on a forum to read about their walks ... pity I've forgotten the name of it!
Myrtle i also joined a walking forum,cause i wanted to read about their walks ,but i cannot find it now it got lost when we moved ,,,
If you come across yours look out for me , i went under my real name ,,,Lyd
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 07:08 PM

Will do Eliza
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

26-08-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Beautiful part of the world, walking this was a goal i hoped i would do one day, ever since i saw a programme with Jimmy McGregor walking the whole route. Are you planning to do Ben Nevis at the end of it. ?
Non I wish I could say I was, but I'm definitely not a hill walker. Unfortunately. I struggle with hills. Our Sunday Rambler's are hill walkers and are very hardy and hill fit.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

26-08-2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->

Myrtle take your boots next time

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top