Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 11:00 AM

Your family history..

What did your grandfather/s do for a living?
My maternal grandfather was a coal miner and in his spare time he was the village Chimney Sweep.

I didn't know my other one..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 11:43 AM

Re: Your family history..

My grandfather was a chief clerk on Cheltenham Town Council, my grandmother was a milliner at Shires and Lances in the same city.

My maternal grandfather was a landower in the Ely area, my maternal grandmother never did a day's work in her entire life (and she lived a bloody long time).
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 11:46 AM

One Grandfather was a police inspector and the other a telephone engineer .
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Paternal grandfather worked on the railway and died before I was born,from what I can gather(excluding views from the monster) he was a total bastard which goes someway to explaining why my father followed his footsteps. His wife was one of those sad cases who was expected to marry rather than having an education but her genes carried through. My brother has a degree,I have a PhD.

Maternal grandfather was a shopkeeper-no idea about my grandmother.

Both grandparents were in WW1 and both got a `blighty one`
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 11:55 AM

My paternal grandfather was a "journeyman" cobbler, grandmother was seamtress/midwife/layer - out of the deceased, mostly miners after accidents/mother of 13!
Maternal grandfather was a miner/ wreath-maker for miners funerals, grandmother was a pianist for the local cinema accompanying the silent movies/ house-wife/mother of 4.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 11:58 AM

Never knew any of my Grandparents, Grandfather from my mothers side was a lead miner, also a Methodist lay preacher who stood up to the local land owner (Lord), about the treatment of his workers. Said Lord attempted to throw him out of his tied cottage, but the peasants revolted and he was saved.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 12:20 PM

My Paternal Grandfather owned a roofing company. My Great Grandfather immigrated from Germany and was a Blacksmith. I have no idea what my Maternal Grandfather did for a living as my Grandmother and he were divorced and he was not discussed.
rowser
United Kingdom Carmarthenshire
rowser is female  rowser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 12:36 PM

I knew 3 out of four of my grandparents and have fond memories of them all. The fourth died when my mother was 11. I was always led to believe that because he was a coal miner, his long illness and death was lung related---death certificate reveals cirrhosis of the liver so??

In grandfathers x 2and4. I have one who was hanged for theft and one who was on H,M.S Warrior ( now in Portsmouth ) and was buried at sea, following an accident, in the Bay of Biscay---documentary evidence for both. Family history is addictive, revealing, and contradictory to family hand downs
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 12:38 PM

My maternal grandfather was a coal miner up in Yorkshire. Never really knew my paternal grandfather but know he spent many years in the Army.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 01:50 PM

Paternal grandfather owned a tinplate company in S. Wales. Grandma - probably didn't work but was a wonderful embroideress and played bridge for Wales! Maternal grandfather died before I was born, but I think he was in the building trade and is descended from immigrants from Germany! Don't think that Grandma ever worked out of home either, but she was bombed out of her home in Liverpool during WWII and came to live with us in Swansea for the rest of her life. Needless to say, she's the one I remember best.

As Rowser says, tracing family history is addictive, I've spent many hours doing just that.
(Some of the family legends turned out to be true too)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top