Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 05:14 AM

Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness

On a trip to St Marys yesterday i noticed how laden with berries the Elderberry bushes were. A slight Autumnal feel to the day, the smell of vegetation going over, the lack of insects, and the Southward journeys of birds means Autumn is fast approaching.

My favorite season of the year, a nice find was a Common seal, something that is rare round here, plenty of Grey seals though. Hows things in other parts of the country ?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 05:42 AM

Re: Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness

I prefer to think of it as late summer Nom but yes, there is a sense of approaching Autumn in the air. It is also my favourite season and busiest in the garden, picking and freezing and giving away my produce. I noticed that the brussel sprouts are big enough to start using now - that's a sure sign that Autumn is near. PS Also my birthday is coming up and I am again hiring a long boat for the day to cruise on the river Nene.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 09:17 AM

I just noticed on my morning walk the sloes are ripening and plentiful as are the rosehips and hazelnuts .
I think Autumn is early this year .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 08:08 AM

I remember around this time of year my school asked us to collect Rosehips, a small financial inducement aided our efforts to collect these. Wonder if this still goes on ?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 08:22 AM

Rose tinted back looking? Gone are the days of fishing the Wharfe,the Swail and picking as I fished. Get home with fruits and get some grape concentrate,a few other things from the homebrew shop.

Then down to the cellar to invent something worthy of trying at my local Wine and Beer club.

As for the fishing?-mostly coarse but the odd trout or grayling was nice
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I remember around this time of year my school asked us to collect Rosehips, a small financial inducement aided our efforts to collect these. Wonder if this still goes on ?

I don't think so Nom. During the war and for some time after rose hips were collected in large quantities to make rose hip syrup to provide vitamin c for the children at a time when oranges and many other foods were scarce . Unfortunately most of the vitamin c was removed in the manufacturing process.
I can remember having Delrosa rose hip syrup daily with cod liver oil, Virol and Angiers emulsion
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

20-08-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
[/B]

I don't think so Nom. During the war and for some time after rose hips were collected in large quantities to make rose hip syrup to provide vitamin c for the children at a time when oranges and many other foods were scarce . Unfortunately most of the vitamin c was removed in the manufacturing process.
I can remember having Delrosa rose hip syrup daily with cod liver oil, Virol and Angiers emulsion
Rose hip syrup, Cod liver oil and Beechams pills, Milk of Magnesia, all part of my mothers cure all medical chest. Cant say ive heard of Virol and Angiers emulsion.

Very cold for the time of the year here, Swifts and Cuckoos already gone, wildflowers and butterflys in short supply, and very few Dragonflies this year.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top