Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 09:50 PM

Burgled?

Anybody on here been burgled?
A couple of years ago we had thieves break in via the lounge window - they climbed through it taking the new flat screened TV that we'd just bought, the DVD player, hubby's binoculars and my entire Coalport china figurine collection. They then undid the back door and walked out carrying the stuff.

It all happened while we were in bed!!

To get up next morning & find the window missing & the back door wide open was unbelievable.... I can't believe we slept through it all but we did!
They took the keys too - and the car keys. The next day was unbelievable trying to get it all safe and secure by nightfall..

They never caught them and the insurance didn't pay us the full value. The worst thing was going to bed at night though - I couldn't sleep properly for weeks afterwards.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 10:02 PM

Re: Burgled?

I haven't thankfully Carol. My daughter's house was broken into when they had gone out for the evening. He had kicked the back door in, but my daughter and her then partner came back unexpectedly and the thief must have seen the car headlights pulling onto the drive and fled, because he left his torch on the bed upstairs.

Fortunately it didn't look as though he had got away with anything but she certainly had some sleepness nights afterwards. The police took the torch but nothing ever came of it. New door and alarm were hastily fitted as soon as possible.

It must be an awful feeling to know that someone has been through your house, through your things. I'm not surprised you couldn't sleep afterwards.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 10:14 PM

Yes, twice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 10:24 PM

How awful no I haven't thank goodness .
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 10:35 PM

Not the house but our shed. They took food from the freezer. If they were that desperate then they were welcome to it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 11:15 PM

We're a lot more security conscious now of course. We never leave the keys hanging by the back door - and we've had a burgler alarm installed!
Better late than never I suppose - I'd hate it to happen again..
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 02:23 AM

I had a terrible experience years ago, I'd gone to bed early around 9pm and later my landing light came on! A man came into my bedroom! I had a huge teddy bear on my bed so I threw it at him then chased him downstairs.

He had managed to gain entry from the kitchen window, I had lots of plants and ornaments on the sill and he'd lined them up in the garden.

He dropped the video recorder on his way out as I'd surprised him, he managed to escape, I called the police and apparently he'd tried to gain access to an old persons house earlier but she chased him away.

Later I realised I'd been very lucky, he could have attacked me but I didn't think about that at the time, I quickly had a burglar alarm installed and felt safer knowing it wouldn't happen again
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 07:51 AM

No never. I fixed up a "pretend" alarm box on the side of my house and it seems to have done the trick.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 08:03 AM

Where we used to live, we had an alarm, someone stole it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

14-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->

A man came into my bedroom! I had a huge teddy bear on my bed so I threw it at him then chased him downstairs.
You were very brave Honey..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top