Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 11:25 AM

Online shopping disappointments

I do a lot of shopping online - anything from ink cartridges to the outfit I wore to my sons wedding.
The disadvantages are that you don't always get what you expect. I had an awful problem with a 6ft square rug I ordered online. It was nothing like it's picture & I could have cried. I got nothing but rudeness when I contacted the retailer so in the end I kept it.
Swim shoes - thermal gloves - are other things that turned out to be rubbish.

I still keep online shopping though - sticking mainly to reputable/well known dealers nowadays.

Have you had any online shopping disasters?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 01:03 PM

Re: Online shopping disappointments

I've had a couple, but Amazon have sorted those.
Its shopping catalogues that I have problems with, if I do buy clothes from them, most are sent back .......
Jim52
New Member!
UK
Jim52 is male 

11-08-2014, 01:15 PM

I brought a book online it was out of print and I needed it for some research so had to buy second hand ,when I received the book nearly every page had been written on in the margins and even between the lines it was useless.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 01:43 PM

Remember, that under distance buying laws, you must be given the same opportunity to examine goods as you would if you went into a shop. If on examining the goods you are not satisfied, you can return them..

Your right to cancel.
Your right to cancel an order for goods starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive your goods.

If your order consists of multiple goods, the 14 days runs form when you get the last of the batch.

This 14 day period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel, you then have a further 14 days to actually send the goods back.

Your right to a refund.
You should get a refund within 14 days of either the trader getting the goods back, or you providing evidence of having returned the goods (for example, a proof of postage receipt from the post office), whichever is the sooner.

A deduction can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of the you handling the goods more than was necessary.

The extent to which a customer can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop.

Refunding the cost of delivery
The trader has to refund the basic delivery cost of getting the goods to you in the first place, so if you opted for enhanced service eg guaranteed next day, it only has to refund the basic cost.

Exemptions
There are some circumstances where the Consumer Contracts Regulations won’t give you a right to cancel.

These include, CDs, DVDs or software if you've broken the seal on the wrapping, perishable items, tailor-made or personalised items.

Also included are are goods that have been mixed inseparably with other items after delivery.

Always check the t&cs 14 days is the minimum cancellation period that consumers must be given and many sellers choose to exceed this, so always check the terms and conditions in case you have longer to change your mind.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 01:47 PM

I have been buying just about everything online for years (other than food) and have done pretty well with only a couple of failures
These were on ebay and were sorted with the help of the mediation process. I got my money and postage back.

I do my research well before buying and read lots of reviews where applicable.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
If on examining the goods you are not satisfied, you can return them..
Yes, but it's still a hassle isn't it

Phoning (waiting ages while the supplier decides to answer you) then phoning (often a different number) to get a 'returns number'

Then packing it up

Then a trip to the post office, sometimes having to pay (even if that is rebated latter)

Then waiting for the replacement which might still be wrong.

I have more or less given up with 'on line' shopping, you'd be surprised how much I've saved
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 05:13 PM

I love online shopping and can't think of any bad purchases I've had. I do think about how easy is it to return, if necessary, but haven't had to.......yet!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top