Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 05:20 PM

Downsizing

After 21 years in this pile I am selling up. Since Jen passed away it stopped being a home,then a house and finally became a millstone.

If things work out I`m going from a large Grade 2 Georgian place with an enormous garden to a 3 bed bungalow with a `sensible` garden.

What scares?/worries me is all the hassle of contacting folk-I was never that organised even when my brain still worked
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Re: Downsizing

Originally Posted by Older git ->
After 21 years in this pile I am selling up. Since Jen passed away it stopped being a home,then a house and finally became a millstone.

If things work out I`m going from a large Grade 2 Georgian place with an enormous garden to a 3 bed bungalow with a `sensible` garden.

What scares?/worries me is all the hassle of contacting folk-I was never that organised even when my brain still worked
Do you mean contacting authorities and electric gas etc .....
It is a hassle, just make a list of them and tick off as you go - hope all goes well for you, sensible to move now ........
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 05:34 PM

I Down sized this year ,and what i did was make a list of who i had to tell .those on Direct Debit ,like Council Tax,Electric , Gas ,Tv lisence,.And what you have to do is a count down .Pack , book a removal van for the day ..
.Then close to a day before i moved i phoned in the readings on Gas and Electric , i even took photos of metre readings .They will want your forwarding address ,
Contact you Council Tax office tell them when you are moving and forwarding address,
I changed my address online for the Tv lisence Two weeks after i moved but they still sent out a letter reminding me to get a liscence But i just filled out the online form with ref no.of my liscence ..
It does seem daunting , and like you my hubby as alwYs left that kind of thing to me ,i guess we women are better at organising .
Dont worry about it ,its no big deal if you forget to tell someone,they will find a way of contacting you .
Edit ..dont for get phone line , i had mine disconnected at previous address so i would t get unwanted bill belonging to someone else
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 05:44 PM

Thanks all-I will get there. There are times I miss Jenny so much and moving is one of them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Thanks all-I will get there. There are times I miss Jenny so much and moving is one of them.
Stephan it will no doubt be a great wrench when the time comes to leave your lovely house and the memories of Jen .
I think when you lose someone you really care for, those feelings of ecstatic love go with them never to be repeated.

With the passage of time it is possible to find a kind of peace and contentment.
Choose your new home with care and I am sure you will be happy there in time

Do you have a dog, they really are great companions .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 06:20 PM

Stephan, I think Patsy's right. Sit down and make a list and tick 'em off as you go. Have you any family that will help you? Have you a moving date yet?
It must be a big move in your life, but I would try to stay positive. You can take with you something very important - your memories, no need to leave them behind. Also, it may help to look forward and try to think of it as a new beginning now. I am sure you will make new friends real soon.
Good luck, I think you'll be fine.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 06:53 PM

We are trying to downsize too Stephan but at least there are two of us, I hope the move goes smoothly for you and you enjoy your new home as best you can.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
We are trying to downsize too Stephan but at least there are two of us, I hope the move goes smoothly for you and you enjoy your new home as best you can.
Barry how can you leave that beautiful vegetable garden ..
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

09-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Family-not really. Do I have a dog??? Good grief no. I love children,I love dogs-just as long as they belong to someone else. Hey when I am 5 minutes walk away from gym/pool I will look back on today and say-Steph you made it`
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-08-2014, 07:02 PM

Family-not really. Do I have a dog??? Good grief no. I love children,I love dogs-just as long as they belong to someone else. Hey when I am 5 minutes walk away from gym/pool I will look back on today and say-Steph you made it`
That's the attitude Stephan even in the worst situations I have learnt to look for some small positive aspect.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top