Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2014, 09:36 PM

Nikon

Earlier this week I purchased a Nikon Cool`pix P520, I am, so far, very happy with the camera. However the first problem arose when I wanted to download the manual in English, I bought the camera here in Spain and the manual is in every language under the sun, but not English. After various attempts to download from the Nikon site I gave up and emailed their customer service. They were very prompt and sent me a link to download, but it wouldnīt work. I thought there was something wrong with my computer so called my computer man, he checked everything and said the problem was with the Nikon site. I mailed customer service again and they apologised and said they would post me a manual. So far so good.

Yesterday I decided to install the photography CD disc which came with the camera, titled ViewNX2, Windows/Macintosh. Well it installed okay but completely messed up Picasa and a couple of other programmes. I decided to uninstall it, the first 2 sections uninstalled, the third section, video editing would not uninstall, I couldnīt even get an option to uninstall. When I checked the two that had gone through the uninstallation process were still on the computer.

My computer man came again this morning and went through everything, but even the special programmes he has for "grabbing" programmes that wonīt uninstall would not remove it. After going through absolutely everything it appears that this programmes various bits and pieces have installed themselves into places they have no right to be. Iīm not technical but I sort of understood when he explained it to me. It was installed correctly but evidently the CD disc was corrupted. Now I have to have the computer wiped and I am really angry. I do not have a "dodgy" computer man, he is a real professional and has taken care of my computers for over 12 years, he also looks after the computers of many businesses, wherever possible he shows me what the problem is, what he is doing and tells me how to do many things myself.

I have now contacted Nikon customer services again re this corrupted CD and the damage and expense it has caused me. You never know, I might even get a reply.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2014, 09:39 PM

Re: Nikon

I hope you get it sorted Loretta
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2014, 09:52 PM

I know how much you love your photography Loretta and I hope it's solved soon.

When I first glanced at the thread title I thought it read "Nixon" and says to myself "Oh Christ not him again"
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2014, 09:59 PM

Thank you Meg and Jem. I am so mad, I did everything right, confirmed by computer man and computer log records, but apparently the CD disc that came with the computer is corrupted and by installing it itīs messed up my computer well and truly. This new camera is turning out to be very expensive. At least I have my ancient little lap top to use over the weekend, if it keeps going that is, itīs very old and bad tempered only doing what I want it to when it feels like it.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2014, 10:01 PM

Sorry your having problems Clumsy .... I've had to have my laptop "wiped" today .... I installed a programme sent to me by a friend for emoticons, etc on emails but it all went pear shaped !!!

I've had to start from scratch again - luckily I had my most "treasured" info on a memory stick .... phew !!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Yes, I'm sorry to hear that too Loretta, but did you not read my Nikon post about the website and the part for manual download being down? I'm waiting for my Nikon D3200 after ordering from PC world and wanted to at least read up about it in the meantime.

I've also seen a D3200 For Dummies Kindle edition that I might purchase. Much cheaper than the actual book.

That really is crap news about your computer being corrupted like that! My worst nightmare. I will pay heed to that before I use the disc myself.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

09-08-2014, 10:52 AM

Sorry to hear you too had problems myrtle. Yes I did read your posts Jazzi and as I had already posted (somewhere) I had a big problem downloading the manual. I thought my computer was at fault but it transpired the fault was the Nikon site. However when I mentioned this in an email to the man at customer services he said there was no problem with the link at his end. I donīt know how these things work or if and how they affect different areas or countries but all I was getting was "broken link" and "network error".

I have emailed customer services re this corrupted disc and I have received the automated reply "your query will be dealt with within 24 hours". Iīm not expecting much from them but at least I have made them aware of the corrupted CD disc. I will keep you informed.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I have now contacted Nikon customer services again re this corrupted CD and the damage and expense it has caused me. You never know, I might even get a reply.
Don't hold your breath

We are just comming to the end of a 14 year stint in Eastern Europe and during all those years I have been sent into a rage so many times because the 'User manual' is in ten languages but NOT in English. Often some languages are missing so if they included English there's at least a chance people in those countries could read it.

Also, I try to avoid buying 'new' things that come with yet more software, it never works, you can never get a sensible answer from the manufacturer, and you waste so much time, just like you've done.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 05:11 PM

I usually Google for a web page of the manual in English and download a PDF to my doc's. Far more user friendly
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

09-08-2014, 07:47 PM

I had done that Curmudgeon but apart from some sites I was unsure about and would not click the links all the others directed me to the Nikon link and it didnīt work on any of them. That is why I contacted Nikon direct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top