Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Blast Furnaces

I've been reading quite a bit lately & have touched on some articles about blast/steam furnaces. Are these still in operation & does anyone know someone working in one? I just can't imagine being employed at a blast furnace.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:49 PM

Re: Blast Furnaces

I'm not even sure what a "blast furnace" is.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:54 PM

Blast furnaces are a major item in the steel manufacture business, in which metal is melted and most impurities removed before being cast into moulds for a myriad of purposes. They are named blast furnaces because of the high pressure air forced into the furnace to increase the temperature to the required melting point.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I'm not even sure what a "blast furnace" is.
Ok I've just answered my own question since they are still in operation so I guess I'll ask if anyone had a family member or friend work in one.

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-ima...t-furnace.html
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:56 PM

Think these are still in operation in several plants in South Wales - one blew up not too long ago. I'll have a look and see if I can find details.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

07-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Blast furnaces are a major item in the steel manufacture business, in which metal is melted and most impurities removed before being cast into moulds for a myriad of purposes. They are named blast furnaces because of the high pressure air forced into the furnace to increase the temperature to the required melting point.
Thank you plantman. I don't know about now but they were a very dangerous form of employment to have a century ago.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:58 PM

I can't do links, but the incident I referred to was at the steel works in Port Talbot, owned by Corus. If you Google "Explosion in blast furnace" you can find it AC.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Ok I've just answered my own question since they are still in operation so I guess I'll ask if anyone had a family member or friend work in one.

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-ima...t-furnace.html
Yes, one of my ancestors was a puddler.

You are now going to ask "what's a puddler?"
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

07-08-2014, 08:09 PM

Yep
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

07-08-2014, 08:12 PM

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2001/11/cor-n13.html

Here's a link to Port Talbot. I guess they're not any safer these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top