Join for free
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 02:43 PM

Hard day at the office

If you had a "hard day at the office" did you take it home with you, or were you able to shake it off and put it behind you?

Maybe that's why people sometimes have a stiff drink after work!

Are you able to switch off work mode and relax.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 02:56 PM

Re: Hard day at the office

All my jobs have been mainly to do with the care and welfare of dogs/children/the elderly and involved living in or working all hours so I guess you could say they were more part of my life than just 'a job' .

My very first job involved working from 7am to 6pm then from then 9 pm to 10.30pm and during the night if necessary with a half day off a week and a whole day off once a month all for £1 a week and my keep because I was a 'trainee'.

So I rarely 'switched off' from any job
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 03:28 PM

Normally I don't... but funny you should post this today, because I am super stressed right now.

I got in to work earlier than usual. My desk is located outside a closed unit in a hospital. I went to the loo.. and when I came out there was a Black guy standing by my office. Conversation as follows"

Me: "Can I help you?:

Him: "Can I help YOU?:

Me: "I only asked if I can help you".

Him: "Why? Can't I stand here?"

Me. "Look.. I just asked"

Him: "It's the WAY you asked"

So at that point I went into my office... He FOLLOWED me into my office.. At that point I felt afraid.

ME: "Please leave here.. I'm going to call Security"

Him: (looking at my badge and using my first name) "Go ahead! Call who you want!"

So then he leaves and starts walking toward the elevator..

Me: (because I was scared and angry) "You really have an attitude

Him: "And YOU are a RACIST"

A racist? Why? because I never saw him before and I asked him if he needed help? Anyway.. about 15 minutes later two Security Guards came by and because I was still a tad shaken, I asked their opinion. They went away and came back awhile later. They told me they have the entire incident on camera.. they saw him follow me into my office.. they know who he is and the fact that he works here on night shift. They want me to file a formal complaint..

I'm afraid to do that.. I know he will be fired for this and perhaps retaliate..

So THIS is MY hard day at the office.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I'm afraid to do that.. I know he will be fired for this and perhaps retaliate..
I don't know what to say, absolutely amazing, so now we have a situation where just being polite is a racist remark.

What is the world comming to

Would you be justified in not talking to any black male in future

You can't know he will be fired, in the UK there's no way he would get more than a mild talking too by his superviser, when you've calmed down do reconsider making a complaint. If you don't he will just do it again.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 05:35 PM

By the way Audrey here is the correct response from a properly educated and respectful man:-

You "Can I help you"

Him " No, it's OK, I'm just waiting for XXX have you seen him"

You "No, I'm sure he'll be along soon" go into office, close the door.

Him continues to wait outside.

That's the way it should go, why the hell can't people do it right.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
I don't know what to say, absolutely amazing, so now we have a situation where just being polite is a racist remark.

What is the world comming to

Would you be justified in not talking to any black male in future

You can't know he will be fired, in the UK there's no way he would get more than a mild talking too by his superviser, when you've calmed down do reconsider making a complaint. If you don't he will just do it again.

Being threatening.. and following someone into their office is considered a major offense and can bring immediate dismissal rather than the usual three strikes you're out.

The problem for him is that they have it all on camera.. and saw me pick up my phone when I was telling him I would call security.. Plus.. I told the Security officer that I felt threatened.. and I DID.. It was very very early here and no one was around..
AudreyII
USA

07-08-2014, 05:59 PM

By the way Audrey here is the correct response from a properly educated and respectful man:-

You "Can I help you"

#1 I never saw him before.. as he works nights and I was in earlier than usual. He had NO badge or identification as an employee..

#2 Best response..

Me: Can I help you?

Him: Hi. My name is xxx.. I am a night transporter and I'm waiting for xxx.

Me: Hi xxx... I've never seen you so I didn't know. Nice to meet you.

And I would have gone in my office and forgotten the whole thing.

NOW.. I have this crazy Black man probably getting fired. The whole this was unnecessary..

BUT you are correct... I never experienced this racism before.. I'm going to very leary of speaking to any Black man
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 06:01 PM

When I was working and my days work was over that was it, forgot about it completely, in for a pint with the workmates and woe betide anyone talking shop, then home for the dinner when the traffic eased down.
Now my workshop is out the back garden and when I go in there I'm alone until the job is finished, nobody bothers me and thats the way I like it.
Women have enough on their plate without having to listen to the mans moans about his job when he comes home, thats the way I've always looked at it, of course it should apply the other way round too if she's working.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Normally I don't... but funny you should post this today, because I am super stressed right now.

I got in to work earlier than usual. My desk is located outside a closed unit in a hospital. I went to the loo.. and when I came out there was a Black guy standing by my office. Conversation as follows"

Me: "Can I help you?:

Him: "Can I help YOU?:

Me: "I only asked if I can help you".

Him: "Why? Can't I stand here?"

Me. "Look.. I just asked"

Him: "It's the WAY you asked"

So at that point I went into my office... He FOLLOWED me into my office.. At that point I felt afraid.

ME: "Please leave here.. I'm going to call Security"

Him: (looking at my badge and using my first name) "Go ahead! Call who you want!"

So then he leaves and starts walking toward the elevator..

Me: (because I was scared and angry) "You really have an attitude

Him: "And YOU are a RACIST"

A racist? Why? because I never saw him before and I asked him if he needed help? Anyway.. about 15 minutes later two Security Guards came by and because I was still a tad shaken, I asked their opinion. They went away and came back awhile later. They told me they have the entire incident on camera.. they saw him follow me into my office.. they know who he is and the fact that he works here on night shift. They want me to file a formal complaint..

So THIS is MY hard day at the office.
Audrey that must have been one scary day at the office and I feel for you.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

07-08-2014, 07:25 PM

You "Can I help you"

That can be easier said now that the situation is over. you've had time to think about it. Audrey didn't.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top