Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 05:12 PM

Desperation Digiscoping

In an effort to keep my hand in, im back to digiscoping birds using my scope and a Nikon Coolpix 4300 4 MP and 3x zoom camera.

Very hit and miss, loads for the bin but a few that survived here.

Mediterranean Gull Larus melanocephalus, this has been slowly gaining ground in the UK, and is now breeding in decent numbers rare until the 1950`s first bred in 1968. One of the white winged gulls, can be found among flocks of the common Black-headed gulls.

Golden Plover, they breed on the uplands of the UK. This is the bird indirectly that caused the Guinness book of records to be started after an argument about which was the fastest game bird after Sir Hugh Beaver ( then MD of Guinness) missed a shot at this species.

Juvenile Herring gulls, still food begging a nearby adult.

Lesser-black backed gull, several races of this migratory gull.

Juvenile Black-headed gull, making a statement.

Hybrid Barnacle / Canada goose.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 06:16 PM

Re: Desperation Digiscoping

Nom I haven't a clue what 'digiscoping ' is but the pictures are lovely
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 06:26 PM

Fabulous photos, Nom, especially the Golden Plover !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The feathers are amazing aren't they
We rarely get to see birds so closely or the intricate patterns on their feathers.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Nom I haven't a clue what 'digiscoping ' is but the pictures are lovely
Using my telescope and putting a small compact camera against the eyepiece, bit hit or miss well mostly miss. Most birders started doing this over a decade ago before going the DSLR route.

Some are using their i phones and adapters these days.

The scope.

My first ever bird photo through a scope in 1999, a Great-white egret with a 35mm box film camera, long before digiscoping was heard of.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

07-08-2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
One of my favourite waders ST, in winter we can get thousands, they do an ariel ballet with a plaintive contact call.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top