Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:15 PM

all singing, all dancing

Household machines. All singing and all dancing. Or the basics.

I've bought fancy things in the past. The washing machines with umpteen programmes. The microwave that does everything. The tumble drier with so many programmes I dont know if I'm coming or going.

It's the basics for me. I don't use half the bloomin programmes. Probably one or two I can't be bothered phaffing about with it all.

I'm a basics girl to heart. You can keep your fancy knobs and dials and digital displays I'll stick to the basics.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:25 PM

Re: all singing, all dancing

Basics here, too. I always think the more programmes there are, the more things can go wrong! I can't understand half the stuff anyway - so simple and easy to use is my motto.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:25 PM

I have had big discussions in shops and with manufacturers about this arguing that I want good quality with minimum functions as do most women but it has fallen on deaf ears..
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Absolute basic models of everything for me - why pay for something you'll never use
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:40 PM

i think some people are materialistic and just like to buy the latest model. They can probably afford it and don't have to think twice.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Absolute basic models of everything for me - why pay for something you'll never use
My DIL gave me her old Smartphone....I kept it for just over a week to see how I got on...I gave it back to her yesterday and resumed normal service with my old phone..

Can't be doing with all those apps and gadgets that have no interest to me whatsoever and just get in the way of the simple functions that I want in a mobile, ring someone, text occasionally and answer any incoming......simple.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

05-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Pats I'm the same.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 09:15 PM

I'm a basic-liker too.
Sadly, if people keep buying the fancy-pancy items with all the bells and whistles, they'll keep making them.
And we all know the more bells and whistles something has, the more likely it is to break down. And of course, a replacement part (if there is one!) costs nearly as much as the item!
Sure would be lovely to go back to simple again!
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 09:28 PM

At one stage, we had a microwave which did almost everything bar eat what it cooked. One thing after another went wrong - as Jackie says - so I now have a simple defrost/cook model.

The same goes for washing machines too - I don't need one with twenty-odd programs, but it was quite difficult to find a simple one. We settled for a Beko, but even that has more than I need.

Mind you, I've heard that white goods are only made to last about 5 years. Bit different to my friend's 20 year-old fridge-freezer!

Gwyn
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 09:34 PM

Basic functions suit me every time. The more functions gadgets have the more there is to go wrong. Plus, why have a microwave with baking and roasting functions you'll never use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top