Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Gardening woes

Well a year or so ago new vision homes took over from our local council running our flats, the gardening they subtract out to serco.
Last year serco cut down our lilac bush just as it was beginning to flower and cut back our forsythia so it didn't flower this year. Back in the spring as the violets flowered they came and "weeded" them out of the borders, cut all the daffodils down just before flowering, and cut my neighbours hydrangeas down to almost the ground.
We complained.
Two weeks ago they came round with chain saws and cut down the forsythia and he lilac again. Now no hope the lilac will survive which is sad as it was last plant my late MIL gave us and the forsythia won't flower next year again.
We complained.

Man from new vision homes came out and walked round with me to see which borders were being gardened by the residents so needed to be left alone. He assured me he loved gardening and understood how upsetting it all was as he casually picked out of our border a "weed" stated he had just got this awfully invasion oak tree plant out of the border and seemed to be waiting for me to say thank you, was slightly taken aback when I said that is a chrysanthemum we only planted this year cost us £10 for 3 so he had just destroyed £3.33 of plants !

Wandered around the block pointing out which border was being gardened by residents, he didn't recognise potatoes, lettuce or fuchsias.

I am left with no confidence in the gardening prowess of new vision homes/serco or the council (council weed killed a few years ago destroyed all the rose beds which is why many of us took over borders in the first place).

Depressing really.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 03:35 PM

Re: Gardening woes

Total incompetence IMO. A letter to your local councillor seems in order .
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 06:00 PM

The one thing any good gardener needs is a bit of common sense and a 'feel' for plants.

The council has employed a firm who have neither, as mentioned above I would complain.

You'll probably get a reply saying they had to do it 'cos of 'elth & safety

Was it you telling us not so long ago they cut down some trees 'cos the branches might fall on people
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 06:17 PM

I lived on a council estate for a while..the flowery bits were occupied by the ''White rose of Yorkshire''as soon as these roses came out..we would get a team of ''gardeners''who would raize them to the ground...
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Oh, I think I'd cry, Julie - all that effort for nothing!! They won't be happy until every patch of earth is concreted over!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 09:43 PM

I'm sorry if I sound like a dafty, but I don't understand why they were cutting/destroying your plants.
I'm guessing they are employed by the owner of the flats to do garden maintenance? By why would they destroy residents plants? (Insert rude word for them here!)

I'm so sorry it's happening. I can't imagine anybody willingly butchering any garden plants.
Would getting a petition going from all the residents be of any use?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 09:51 PM

Communal gardens we are council owned, and they allowed us all to garden some of the borders if we wished as all they could offer were berberis bushes. Lots of people like us put time and money into the borders but the gardeners still keep destroying them.

We are shared ownership flats, low cost home ownership it's called.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 09:59 PM

Ok thanks, I see that part.
It still boggles my mind though why they would cut down perfectly healthy plants!
Would putting "Do Not Touch' signs around your garden areas do any good?
I know you shouldn't even have to consider it, but enough already.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Communal gardens we are council owned, and they allowed us all to garden some of the borders if we wished as all they could offer were berberis bushes. Lots of people like us put time and money into the borders but the gardeners still keep destroying them.

We are shared ownership flats, low cost home ownership it's called.
Would that be 'shared with the council'

Still doesn't make sense to me, council have had to pay Sunshine what'sit (Sorry don't have time to check on thename you gave us) who in turn have had to pay Serco when you (The residents) were doing it for free, crazy isn't it, I would definately be asking the council to explain. Serco are good at overcharging, tell the council that

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top