Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 09:47 PM

long lost families

Sorry if there's already a thread on this. I couldn't find it.

I've been watching the programme and absolutely love it. It brings a tear to my eye every time. I've had an experience of such a thing myself and it is fascinating to find there are people out there who are related to you and are completely unaware of it. I've had the experience of telling a man that my mum was his sister - 75 years down the line. He was completely unaware of it and, luckily, was overwhelmed and delighted.

Anyone else had a similar experience in life?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 09:51 PM

Re: long lost families

I found cousins from my father's side of the family - living in Lincolnshire. Found them on the internet via Ancestry.Com - have met up with them several times. Great fun - they were able to fill in a lot of gaps in the family history for me and I for them.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 10:17 PM

Sorry, tend to avoid it, there comes a point that where you are going supersedes where you came from, and that's from Mr Nostalgia.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 11:26 PM

I watch it sometimes and completely understand the children searching for a parent.

I never knew my Mother, she died when I was 14 months old and I would so love to have known her .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 08:26 AM

When we were children my Granddad went to great lengths to find his 8 siblings who had all lost touch over the years, took him 5 years to find everyone and another 3 months to realise they were estranged for a reason. I think if people really care for each other they stay in touch and people leave your life for a reason..
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 09:51 AM

I remember when I was in my 20's a young relative coming round to see my dad to get his part of a family tree.

My dad was one of 13 and he himself from two marriages had 10 children. I remember thinking good luck with that one.

I walked away from family members over 25 years ago. It was the best move I ever made.

I kept in touch with one brother (who sadly died this year)and his family who I love dearly, they are all I need.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When we were children my Granddad went to great lengths to find his 8 siblings who had all lost touch over the years, took him 5 years to find everyone and another 3 months to realise they were estranged for a reason. I think if people really care for each other they stay in touch and people leave your life for a reason..

I would say to anyone moved to trace lost relatives..........proceed with care.
This can be a can of worms .
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 06:42 PM

3 yrs ago i found out i had a 76 and 74 yr old sisters and a 72 yr old brother, we met,had a drink,and never seen or spoke since,,its never worried me,we were all strangers.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Doctor is doesn't always result in relationships. Probably the older you all are then you've all made your own lives. Would still be nice to have seen them and had a drink with them.

I proceeded with caution with my mum's brother, but it worked out okay in the end. He just wished we had got in touch when his father was still alive. That might have been more difficult as his father never told anyone he had a daughter. We'll never meet as he's at one end of the country and we the other, but he's delighted to hear from my mum and sends her lovely cards saying "sister".
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 07:07 PM

I guess we only get to see the 'successes' on the programme, there must surely be failures too...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top