Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 08:03 PM

Bath problem

Some time ago we had someone in to replace our bath, wash basin and toilet plus generally tidy-up the tiling etcetera but we soon found out that they'd done a bodge job of it when things started to leak or fall apart.

Early this year we got a proper plumber in to rectify things but a handyman to do some general tidying-up of the things bodged before, including the sealant around the bath.

This had fallen out a month after the cowboys put it in so I did the best I could but it wasn't much better but at least it did seal the bath around the sides.

Anyway, Paul did all the jobs we asked him to do but I wasn't happy about the sealant again and I got him back to re-do it - twice.

The problem is that it's dropped out again and it's because the bath itself seems to drop substantially as it's filled.

Does anyone know if there's a solution to this with some kind of wide sealant "system" perhaps that'll accomodate a quarter inch of movement?

The only other thing I can do now is get that bath ripped out and get our reliable plumber to fit a new one but I just can't afford it at the moment, hence the ask about sealant.

I've seen that right-angled plastic with rubber edges somewhere - B&Q maybe - but it'd have to cope with this quarter inch drop so it'd have to be stuck to the bath itself, hard up against the tiling I think.
(Is that stuff wide enough? Anyone know?)

Other than that, any suggestions as to how to affect a fairly cheap repair that'll last until I can afford to get Nick the Plumber back would be gratefully accepted!! stevmk2
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 08:20 PM

Re: Bath problem

Steve before putting the sealant on if its the soft white ,you should fill the bath up ,then put the sealant round and leave for 24hrs before emptying the bath.Thats how our plumber did it .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 08:21 PM

Do you fill the bath before sealing ? The bath should be full of water as heavy as you can get it before you use sealant. Then as it sets the water is let out and it should maintain a good seal.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Do you fill the bath before sealing ? The bath should be full of water as heavy as you can get it before you use sealant. Then as it sets the water is let out and it should maintain a good seal.
That's why Paul had to come back and redo it Julie - he hadn't done that.

However, when he DID do that it still came undone due to that gap.

That's the cause - a bit too much movement for standard fitting but there must be something I can try?

We got Nick to mend the shower in May but with this problem I'm worried in case water goes through the flooring under the bath as there's hallway ceiling lights directly underneath now! stevmk2
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Is the bath supported adequately underneath? A bath shouldn't drop when filled. It's not only the weight of water but your weight when you are in the bath. If it's on floor boards they may be flexing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 08:45 PM

I don't know if it's still available but you used to be able to get a right angled plastic strip that sealed to the wall and to the bath for awkward places, worked well when we were in a wooden building that flexed with the weather in all directions.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 12:06 AM

1. attach a length of quarter quadrant to the wall at the side of the bath with an appropriate adhesive (don't glue the quadrant to the bath) with the bath empty.
2. Allow time to form a strong bond.
3. now with the bath full run the sealant along the gap between the quadrant and the side of the bath.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 12:28 AM

I was told to clean the area beforehand with vinegar, it removes any residue and gives a clean surface for the sealant to adhere. Did this when making my aquariums, the other suggestions make sense.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Support the bath, take the side panel off and get a 2M length of old scaffold board, put the board on the U/S of the bottom of the bath and chock it up from the floorboards with pieces of 4 X 2 soft timber . Drive them in tightly so that the base of the bath does not sag when self and 30 gall of water are superimposed.
Sealant will then ,hopefully, stay in place
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Steve - some good ideas above. Post 7 will fix it for now.

But in situations like this you need to address the basic problem i.e. the bath movement is much more than sealant is designed to accomodate.

I would go with post 9 because it:-
a) Addresses the basic problem
b) Will prevent future (much worse) problems in 2 or 3 years from now when it's possible all the flexing in the bath causes a crack which will require a new bath! (I'm assuming we're not talking cast iron bath here)

Tradesmen (Some anyway) rely far too much an banging sealant into joints these days when a good plumber will know that a bath must be supported properly, but then again where do you find a good plumber these days

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top