Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 12:09 AM

Accident prone.

My recent accident - falling & ending up with my leg in plaster prompted me to start this thread.
Do you think we get more accident prone as we get older?

Until I was 50 yrs old I hadn't broken a bone. The month after my 50th birthday I missed my footing stepping up a kerb and broke my ankle. The year after that I was washing the kitchen floor, slipped on it & cracked 3 ribs on a radiator airer. Then I fell down stairs & broke 2 toes. Last year I slipped going up a kerb again & broke my wrist. Also last year I slipped on gravel and had to have hospital treatment on my knee - I sliced a piece off it - it was horrible. Now my latest - I'm in plaster again... I'm a liability unto myself!

Am I the only clumsy/accident prone person around here?
Can anybody match me?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 12:53 AM

Re: Accident prone.

Awww, poor you! Can't match you myself, but I do stub toes a lot! Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 05:20 AM

I can't say that I have more accidents but I know that my balance is not good so I have to be more careful.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 07:37 AM

No Carol darlin' I can't best that for accidents, but I do have a lot of (surgical) scars.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 09:34 AM

Carol I know my sight isn't what is once was or righting my balance, I have had a few nasty falls but luckily nothing to match yours.

I was talking to my sister about this the other day , she has had two falls recently and ended up in A&E.

I hope you don't have any more mishaps
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 09:42 AM

I am a clumsy klutz, partly due to bad vision, and have had a few broken bones over the years.
But nothing as bad as you've had the last few years.
Hopefully that's the worst of it over now.
Maybe wrap yourself in bubble-wrap for a wee bit?!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 09:44 AM

I've been a bit accident prone or down-right clumsy all my life, despite my habit of virtually pre-planning everything task I do!

I'm left-handed and I read somewhere once that lefties are often a bit clumsy but then, it is a right-handed world isn't it?!

I always wrote with my left hand, just as I use a mouse with my left hand and it could be just because I've got a deformed right hand but my Dad said I went for the left every time from a tiny baby so who knows.

I seem to have the knack of being in the wrong place at the wrong time too so really I tend to think that I just have bad luck and no matter what I do I always will have it! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Oh Carol - as the song goes - hope you can settle down gal and put this 'last' accident behind you x I think it is a case of being more careful as we get older, I'm just about learning that 'now'
I have a lot of dizzy spells and my balance isn't good, so I 'have' to take each step - with meaning
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 10:28 AM

Definitely Carol. I'm a lot more clumsy than I have ever been and recently my balance has deserted me. We planned to paint the outside of the house recently (something I have always done myself - as an ex rock-climber balance and heights have never been a problem for me)so I bought the paint and borrowed a 6 meter ladder from a neighbour. In the past this has never been a problem for me but this time, I felt very vulnerable at the top of the ladder- something I have never experienced before. I suppose it is just something else to accept as part of growing older.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 10:41 AM

Thank you. Some of the answers are reassuring and make me feel not so alone. I seem to have a balance problem lately - not bad but enough to make me careful (or try to be) I'm also left handed so could that be contributing?

Perhaps I'd better stay in my wheelchair & keep safe!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top