Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Igor, our Disabled Robin

I've mentioned the Robin we have frequenting our garden before but I can't remember which thread!

Anyway, he's deformed for some reason so we've been making sure that he gets food by putting it in places that he usually lands - or walks to.

Sadly he seems to be getting worse and he's almost doubled-over now.

The thing that really gets me and my wife is his absolute trust of us.

He's been sat a foot away from me today for an hour and I've been giving him bits of suet and a bowl of water, both of which he hops over to regularly in this heat - 39C today in our garden.

I say him but it could actually be a female apparently!

He's so trusting that we're worried for his safety with cats using our garden all the time but there's not much we can do about it.

I'm typing this facing the kitchen door - and he's just peeped around it!! stevmk2
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2014, 06:18 PM

Re: Igor, our Disabled Robin

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I've mentioned the Robin we have frequenting our garden before but I can't remember which thread!

Anyway, he's deformed for some reason so we've been making sure that he gets food by putting it in places that he usually lands - or walks to.

Sadly he seems to be getting worse and he's almost doubled-over now.

The thing that really gets me and my wife is his absolute trust of us.

He's been sat a foot away from me today for an hour and I've been giving him bits of suet and a bowl of water, both of which he hops over to regularly in this heat - 39C today in our garden.

I say him but it could actually be a female apparently!

He's so trusting that we're worried for his safety with cats using our garden all the time but there's not much we can do about it.

I'm typing this facing the kitchen door - and he's just peeped around it!! stevmk2
Lol steve....When I came to live in this house..I was very aware of a dominant robin..the old lady who lived in this house must have befriended him...He would land on my head..I bought him meal worms..his name is Sid vicious..due to his intolerance of any other bird in the garden..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2014, 06:20 PM

Ah Steve - I've a tear in me eye, such a sweet adorable bird, I remember your thread. I would get a cage for him, I know a lady who had a similar story with a magpie, she caged him in the garden, been with her for 3 years !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2014, 06:45 PM

Robins are such cheery, valiant little creatures!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2014, 07:01 PM

Poor little bird but so lucky he/she has someone looking out for him/her. Perhaps try to catch it ? although whether that would be best long term I am not sure, nature can be harsh but death isn't the worse can happen.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2014, 08:21 PM

Oh poor little thing..

You can cage 'him' for safety and let live in an unatural environment for however long he lasts, or leave him and hope that he doesn't become the victim of a predator.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2014, 08:55 PM

Steve, I don't think I'd 'cage' him personally, he seems to be managing with your help. Sometimes wild birds trapped in cages just die of shock, then you'd feel dreadful. Anyway, maybe he's got a family needing him for all we know? Sad though it is, I think I'd carry on just as you, and help him from a distance, and not getting him too tame and trusting, for his own good. I do hope he survives.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2014, 08:59 PM

Ah poor little bird - He can still fly though can he Steve?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 08:57 AM

Bit worried this morning - no sign of Igor or a new one we've gained - a young sparrow with something wrong with its wing. (Why come to us I wonder?)

He can fly Carol but seems to prefer to hop around most of the time, which worries us with cats all around and sparrow hawks often overhead.

He often seems to stumble and, watching him near me yesterday, I noticed the nervous switches he has are more frequent but then it was very hot - 30C, not 39C as I typoed before!

He get so close now that I could probably pick him up.

He was obviously thirsty at one point yesterday and he hopped around near the back door and went over to the water butt and looked at me!

He's quite bright for all his disabilities!

There's a big bird bath in the garden but he's scared of starlings and we're getting a lot in the garden lately.

Any other birds he fearless with, like most Robins but not starlings.

Going to see if I can find him now. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2014, 09:24 AM

Hope you find him Steve ........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top