Join for free
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 01:12 PM

Land Of The Midnight Sun

The Yukon & The Northwest Territories in uppermost northern Canada are two of the regions known as Land of the Midnight Sun. There's other countries that fall under this heading as well such as Norway, Finland, etc.

In the Yukon for instance, the summer has 20 hours of sunlight everyday. Imagine sitting outside in your lawn chairs reading a book at 2 AM in the bright sun! That would be too much culture shock for me & it's pretty incredible.

Whitehorse is the capital of the Yukon & according to the Guinness Book of World Records, boasts as having the least air pollution in the world.

Since Whitehorse is over 2500 miles from me, I don't think I'll be driving there anytime soon
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 02:29 PM

Re: Land Of The Midnight Sun

I wouldn't mind the 20 hours of daylight in the 'short' summer . The flip side of the coin is long dark winter days, I couldn't cope with those
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Have seen Tunguska (in Siberia) - where the Meteorite exploded and flattened hundreds of square miles of forest.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I wouldn't mind the 20 hours of daylight in the 'short' summer . The flip side of the coin is long dark winter days, I couldn't cope with those
My feelings, exactly!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 04:41 PM

I worked for a while in N.Finland where they get virtually 24 hour daylight in summer. There were strange local events like "midnight golf tournaments".

I found it hard to sleep and went to considerable lengths to make sure my hotel room was dark. The Finns said that they found it strange in the UK where it actually got dark in summer. Here in N.Scotland, it's getting light by 3 am.in mid summer, so it's about 19-20 hours of daylight for a sort time.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 11:44 PM

I didn't know that about Scotland. I'd have a hard time living with so much light since I just adore nighttime, lol.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 01:40 PM

AutumnColour, where I live is just a little south of Juneau, Alaska and I'm a lot closer to Norway than London. Of course in winter, there's only about 7 daylight hours.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top