Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 12:11 AM

Storms

With these current storms we're getting, and more forecast for the weekend, do you take any safety precautions?
Do you think it is wise to unplug your computer, or disconnect the telephone and t.v? Everyone says something different and I'm never sure what to do for the best.
When I was a kid, Mum used to unplug everything and even turn any mirrors round to face the wall ! But is it a wise safety precaution or 'a load of old codswallop' do you think?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 12:14 AM

Re: Storms

I don't unplug anything, my pc and phone work from a preventative power surge plug, I just switch off the mains to the tv to be safe
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 06:32 AM

Depends on the storm - if it is distant or just sheet lightning then I switch off the DVD player but do not unplug.

If it is close or throwing forked lightning about then I unplug everything !

This morning - as very violent storms are forecast - I have been out to the garage and brought in the cats carrier boxes so I can get them out safely if anything bad happens.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 07:27 AM

We very rarely get this type of storm here.
If it's really bad, I might shut down the desktop PC. Otherwise I'll probably just watch the storm from the comfort of the lounge....

I hope the pigs will be OK.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 07:48 AM

The desktop is the only pc left permanently plugged in, (but switched off at the mains). TV etc plugged in, but switched off. The only appliances still running (at night and during storms) are the fridge freezer and telephone.

Plugs to tv etc and PC are hard to reach: the former is in a remote controlled plug, so I just aim the remote to switch on/off. Need to find the other r/c plug for the PC - all items are behind furniture.

Laptop, netbook, iPad, only plugged in when I want to use them. Oh, tv stuff in bedroom is plugged in but not switched on.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 08:38 AM

We have a power surge protector on our items so hope that's OK .....
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 08:45 AM

I don't take any special precautions other than make sure everything's switched off at the mains before we go to bed..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Both my televisions (I have one in my bedroom) are plugged into surge protectors, as is my Freeview plus box as all these are connected to an outdoor aerial up on the roof 3 floors up.
shazy
lancashire
shazy is female  shazy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 10:56 AM

I dont unplug the tv, but I have heard of someones, Blew up the other night..
My tablet isnt plugged in, so its just my Kitchen appliances that are..
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 11:14 AM

In the past I've had a TV blow up and the router for the PC so now I unplug everything if I'm around. Have to confess that last night, and the one before the storms didn't start till after I was in bed (and asleep), so I never heard a thing and everything has survived - thank goodness.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top