Join for free
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 03:25 PM

Sod's law strikes again! Or, ruddy Housing Ass.

Our current kitchen! Where do I start? Well, just after we moved in the guy underneath complained that there was water leaking into his kitchen. It turned out that our taps were leaking behind the unit, so nothing showed up in our kitchen. So unit replaced. Then the Association bought the Council houses, and began refurbishments. Of course ours were way down the list, 2020 to be precise. Anyway, the units are chipboard and the doors affixed with screws barely half an inch, so the hinges on the most frequently used doors were constantly coming adrift. Repairs ranged from tightening screws to filling holes with matchsticks prior to re-screwing, to filling holes with wood glue first, to filling holes with a mix of wood glue and saw dust. But regularly every few months they 'dropped' again. (Bottom hinges would go and thus doors were propped against each other).

Anyway it occurred to me that when we leave they might try and stick us with the cost of the repairs, so reported that the doors were falling off. The guy has just been and #^%**# me! he has brought the refurbishment forward to early next ruddy year!!

And that is not all folks, oh no! A little over a year ago they brought a real firm of cowboys (these are the ones who insisted on wearing yellow hazard vests, indoors, on the top floor) in here to re-wire us, by installing plastic trunking everywhere. BUT, when the kitchen is done, all that will be ripped off, and channels created for the wiring!! Talk about a small fortune wasted. Why oh why did they not postpone the re wiring until after the re-fit? Talk about muppets. Mind you what else can you expect from a Labour Council? Just live spending (make that wasting) other peoples money.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Re: Sod's law strikes again! Or, ruddy Housing Ass.

Makes you mad doesn't it, this selling stuff off to housing associations hasn't gone well here either. Costs have rocketed and how they work out the service charges I cannot fathom looks like we pay for all the admin for the entire company not just our flats
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 03:38 PM

Talking of service charges, the flat we are buying does not have any service charges!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 03:50 PM

Fantastic !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 08:14 PM

Did you lose the "Right to buy" when you joined the housing ass? We did, no one noticed until my daughter asked about it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-07-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Did you lose the "Right to buy" when you joined the housing ass? We did, no one noticed until my daughter asked about it.
Ours is complicated anyway as we own 20% of our flat so we have to pay for all repairs in our flat including boiler and windows, we had to replace the bathroom a few years ago and will be required to replace our kitchen before 2018 or they will replace it for us and charge us for the work.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

14-07-2014, 09:05 PM

I do know that the percentage of purchase price was capped several years back so although I have been a Council/Association tenant for approx 40 years my 'discount' is not what it once was. But who cares, the new place is bigger, lighter, newer, and in a nicer area, and we discovered that we are paying a little over 2k less than the ground floor here went for two months ago.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top