Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 06:50 AM

Obesity

There has been a call to place a further Tax on fast food outlets (BBC News) to cover the cost of medical care for over weight people, does anyone think there are more calories in a pre-prepared burger, than a self prepared one say from Iceland, also, every time this subject comes up, why does the news reel show portly people's torso's (shoulders downwards) video footage of folks going about their business, on the High Street.
Most folks probably know, they themselves are responsible for their own physiological condition, why should the taxation beating stick be used to try to control instinct?.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 07:31 AM

Re: Obesity

It isn't just what they eat though, Spitfire, it is the quantity as well - add to that the lack of exercise and there you have obesity. All the education and taxation in the world will not help those who do not want to be helped.

When I was a child we had breakfast, lunch and tea (until old enough to join the grown-ups for dinner) but we did not eat in between meals. These days in town you see babies in pushchairs munching crisps, pasties and sausage rolls as they go along. A lesson learned at that age stays with you.

When they come home from school - the TV is on or they play Xbox type games, or shut themselves away with a computer and, generally, they see their parents doing the same. People are just not as active as they could/should be to stay healthy.

Occasionally I have a meal at a Chinese Buffet place - where you can eat all you want for £7. If you saw the way people pile food onto their plates - and how many times they go back for more - it would make you feel sick.

Maybe they should re-introduce rationing - I keep reading that people were much healthier then !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 07:39 AM

Just seen the news reel again, it is not new taxation but the redirection of existing VAT to local councils. Yes ST, you don't need statistics, when you walk down the High Street, and observe the body shape of folks, it would seem over nutrition and sedate lifestyle is leading to a new visible killer.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Why people are obese is IMO a very personal thing, no one idea will fix it for everyone.
One thing that might help some would be stop making people feel bad about it, I was an emotional eater, more people making me feel ashamed about my size the more I would eat. Also make vegetables and protein cheaper than sugary items. Until that happens if you are on a tight budget you will always gravitate towards cheap carbs.
My shopping budget has doubled and I eat less since I started trying to lose weight. That just shouldn't be possible surely ?
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 08:47 AM

I agree with you, Julie. If you want to lose weight/improve your lifestyle, it isn't cheap. With the possible exception of bananas, fruit and veg aren't cheap and I won't buy from Aldi, as although theirs is cheaper, IMHO it doesn't keep well.

Gwyn
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 09:02 AM

The Obesity problem is always dangerous ground on forums!

As spitfire says, we can all see the evidence in our High Streets but we really do not need another tax!

That penalises everyone, regardless of how the money's collected; there will always be someone that'll attach a cost to the VAT system too so we'll all pay in the end!

Obesity and its causes have been discussed before here but I still feel that it's a lack of education in how to eat sensibly, a lack of common sense and not nearly enough exercise - that's it in a nutshell, without bringing in all the old arguments regarding "big-bones" or metabolism differences.

We do know too that for some it is very difficult.

My wife and I eat sensibly but cheaply and we manage to have a varied diet without all the fatty foods we see many people piling into supermarkets trolleys.

Our main reason is the cost of course but being frugal isn't simply down to that, it's keeping a watch on the "fuel" we eat in terms of food and trying to ensure we use that fuel effectively and that means getting as much exercise to burn the calories off as we can.

Food costs are going up - we all must be aware of that so we experiment and make our own dishes when we can.

It's not hard to do and not only is it better for you but generally it's as cheap as buying-in, except for the really cheap foods stuffed with fat and sugars! stevmk2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 09:02 AM

I'm going to disagree on the point of cost and suggest that it can be just as cheap to eat healthy food as unhealthy. The difference I find is that I'm getting to enjoy the better things in life and cost is not always the priority.

Gwyn, I agree that vegetables from Aldi & Lidl don't seem to keep well.

One thing that annoys me is height/weight charts, BMI etc.... that make it seem you have to be stick thin to avoid being overweight or obese.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 09:12 AM

Well I can only say I can't shop as cheaply healthily as I did when I was buying bread and making cakes etc, doughnuts 9p each collected on a Friday night would feed us all weekend, I used to spend £20 a week on cheap carbs, now I spend almost that just on vegetables add into the mix protein and well that doubles what I used to spend.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 09:12 AM

I am not a big eater, don't like the feeling of being full.
Sometimes I have a bit more, especially when its a roast, too many potatoes, I have noticed when I do have that bit more, I am then hungrier sooner than usual.
So, I think that is a problem for big eaters, just makes them more hungry and so it goes on. Its then hard to cut down initially - until your tummy gets used to less ..........
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 09:29 AM

There has been a call to place a further Tax on fast food outlets (BBC News) to cover the cost of medical care for over weight people, does anyone think there are more calories in a pre-prepared burger, than a self prepared one say from Iceland, also, every time this subject comes up, why does the news reel show portly people's torso's (shoulders downwards) video footage of folks going about their business, on the High Street.
Most folks probably know, they themselves are responsible for their own physiological condition, why should the taxation beating stick be used to try to control instinct?.
As far as I am concerned they can close all the fast food outlets, never been in one and don't use them.
I think they are a very expensive way to eat rubbish.

However people will eat what they choose to eat but maybe if they closed these places and people were forced to actually cook something they may eat healthier less fattening foods.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top