Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 05:45 PM

Igor!

We feed the birds that come into our garden for most of the year and we've even tried providing nest boxes for them but without any takers but right now we have a disabled Robin I've dubbed Igor, because he's got a hunchback and his little head is set to one side only.

He joins Barry, the too-trusting male Blackbird, (I can feed him by hand!) and Cyril, the fearless Snail, who keeps coming back to the same place even though I've moved "him" somewhere safer five times!

Igor likes Suet - but he also loves Woodlice and we've got loads of 'em!
We keep him happy - he will land foot away and wait patiently for his Suet!
Barry defends our garden against all the Starlings - or tries to but he does OK and Cyril - I know it's him 'cos I've marked his shell - well, he's got a death-wish 'cos there's slug 'n snail killer everywhere but he doesn't touch it!

Anyway, now you've all realised I'm a nutter about animals I'll sign-off!! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 05:54 PM

Re: Igor!

Poor little Igor - but he has you with the suet ! so -
You know you are fortunate to have the garden and the birdies - I love blackbirds so - I love Barry, will you tell him for me
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Poor little Igor - but he has you with the suet ! so -
You know you are fortunate to have the garden and the birdies - I love blackbirds so - I love Barry, will you tell him for me
Maybe Steve will tweet him on Twitter Patsy
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Maybe Steve will tweet him on Twitter Patsy
'Chirpy chirpy cheep-cheep'
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 07:47 PM

You are not alone Steve. I have got Gertrude the big black slug and lots of snails who like being fed carrots, lettice and cucumber.
They have decimated since I went on holiday last week as it would
seem that my neighbour who feeds the cats got rid of at least 50 of my
snails. Still got some left so will have to keep feeding them.
She is on holiday again so will tell her off when she comes back
We don't have birds in our gardens much as there are lots of cats.
I used to have a Robin and he was killed getting ready for Winter
poor thing. My next door neighbour has a dog and that killed the
Starlings babies when they flew. Not the same neighbour who
feeds my cats.
So yes I know what you mean. Its the same as me I now have to
walk a two mile round trip to feed my flock of seagulls in the Winter.
This will be the 7th year and Sammy the Seagull is the main character
with her husband who see me walking towards the field about quarter
of a mile before I get there They need people like us Steve.
Thistledome
Derbyshire, UK.
Thistledome is male  Thistledome has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 10:30 PM

Evening all

Stevmk2

Couldn't help but notice the similarities between your Blackbird and mine, which you will notice I've called Fred.

This also eats from my hand, and although I haven't yet managed to get a photo in that position I'm hoping I will have my mobile handy one of these days to get a shot of him.

We also have a Robin which likewise feeds from your hands, although I have yet to manage that procedure also as any quick movement would probably scare him off.

I did manage to get a shot of him on our conservatory door handle where he would regularly come to make us aware of his presence. See shot below.

We also feed them on Pasta and mealworms which they seem to like.

Mike.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top