Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Would You Want To Be A Realtor?

I've always wondered about safety especially women realtors.

http://www.realestate.com/advice/rea...ty-tips-46127/
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 02:49 PM

Re: Would You Want To Be A Realtor?

Let's face it. Men and women live in two different worlds. I don't think men realize that women live in constant fear, or at the very least, in apprehension of being assaulted by the opposite sex. I doubt if many men adjust their routines, routes, habits etc to avoid attacks from the other half of the human race. But this is a reality for women. How many of us haven't taken that into consideration before going somewhere? How safe will we be? Will there be other people around? Will some one be able to hear me if I scream? Is the area well lit or patrolled? These are all things we factor in to our daily lives. I can understand why a woman wouldn't want to show property alone. I doubt if male realtors even give it a passing thought. So in answer.. NO.. I would not want to put myself in the situation of being alone in a house with a stranger.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Happens in UK as well, female agents have been attacked. It is now normal for all buyers to provide identity details and they are checked prior to a viewing.

Also, a large number of estate agents don't go to the house now, they let the buyer go on his own and the seller has to take them round. On new developments the agent is in an office with phone and site workers nearby.

There is an all female estate agents office in the town where we have our UK house.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I don't think men realize that women live in constant fear, or at the very least, in apprehension of being assaulted by the opposite sex.
Why? Simply because the legal system is operated by people who don't care and sadly that includes women judges and defence lawyers.

If men who attacked women got an appropriate sentance then these crimes would stop or at least be drastically reduced but what happens when they go to court, the defending lawyer (Can be a women 'tho IMO that should be forbidden) makes up some story about the defendant comming from an abusive familly or having mental problems or some such fantasy. The judge (Again can be a women) gets out his or her statute book and reads all the fine print and decides a comma after a sentance here and a full stop there, means the defendant is only partially to blame etc. etc. and hands down a slap on the wrist and a 'don't do it again' type of sentance.

It's all rubbish, it's no wonder women are worried, I am a man I am worried, there's places in England I wouldn't go in the day time let alone at night
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
I've always wondered about safety especially women realtors.

http://www.realestate.com/advice/rea...ty-tips-46127/

There was an Estate Agent who went missing some years ago darlin'. This is her history:

Susannah "Suzy" Lamplugh (/ˈlæmpluː/; born 3 May 1961,[citation needed] Gloucestershire)[1] was a British estate agent reported missing on 28 July 1986 (aged 25) in Fulham, South West London, England. She was officially declared dead, presumed murdered, in 1994.[2] The last clue of her whereabouts was an appointment to show a house in Shorrolds Road to someone she referred to as "Mr. Kipper". Following her disappearance, police DNA tested 800 unidentified bodies and skeletal remains that matched Lamplugh's description.[3]

In late 2010, police began a new search of a field off the B4084 between Pershore and Drakes Broughton. The area is about three miles away from the former Norton Army Barracks in Worcestershire which was searched in December 2000 and February 2001.[3] In 2000, police had searched a nearby brickworks[4] which several witnesses had mentioned in their original statements.[5] The search proved unsuccessful and to this day, her remains have not been found.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 03:50 PM

If men who attacked women got an appropriate sentance then these crimes would stop or at least be drastically reduced
I'm not sure even this is much of a deterrant. Most sex offenders repeat their crime even after serving prison sentances. Even the knowledge that DNA can link them to a crime, they still seem to re-offend.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 04:20 PM

Let's face it. Men and women live in two different worlds. I don't think men realize that women live in constant fear, or at the very least, in apprehension of being assaulted by the opposite sex. I doubt if many men adjust their routines, routes, habits etc to avoid attacks from the other half of the human race. But this is a reality for women. How many of us haven't taken that into consideration before going somewhere? How safe will we be? Will there be other people around? Will some one be able to hear me if I scream? Is the area well lit or patrolled? These are all things we factor in to our daily lives. I can understand why a woman wouldn't want to show property alone. I doubt if male realtors even give it a passing thought. So in answer.. NO.. I would not want to put myself in the situation of being alone in a house with a stranger.
Excellent post Audrey. You know I do all that you mentioned as well. Even though I'm in a safe area, there's still that niggling fear when I'm WAY up the county road with nothing around except farm fields walking my dog. When a car goes by, I'm thinking, hmmm, is it going to stop, should I pretend I'm talking on my cell phone, etc.
Its so hardwired into us I believe that it becomes a part of life but its not fair nor is it right.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 04:41 PM

When we put a property up for sale we allowed the estate agent to take viewers round the empty property at first .
We were not getting much feed back even though there was two views a week ,i decided to take the viewers round myself even though Hubby was against this ,,I enjoyed it very much,got more feed back good and bad,and learnt about the people viewing..I would tAke it up for a job any day ...its not for a shrinking violet though more for a out going confident person .
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

11-07-2014, 05:11 PM

You're very right Eliza & the one we had was very, unbelievably hard working, going that extra mile all the time, I don't know how she does it. She even has big lunches for all the other realtors that she wants to work with so their own clients will come & see the house she's selling. She was negotiating until midnight sometimes with us in the past plus having young kids.

By the way Losos, great post by you too. I do agree that men do have to be careful as well, no matter what area you live in. It's still just different for men compared to women.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

12-07-2014, 04:27 PM

I'm not sure even this is much of a deterrant. Most sex offenders repeat their crime even after serving prison sentances. Even the knowledge that DNA can link them to a crime, they still seem to re-offend.
Yes, I was thinking about compulsory castration, plus local information to people where he lives, plus long prison sentances, not the six months and don't do it again type sentances.

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
It's still just different for men compared to women.
Of course it is, and I do feel great sympathy for women who have to put themselves in positions where attacks may occur. It's not right that they should be targetted when men are not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top