Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 12:21 PM

What am I doing living here!

It's not very often I feel grumpy or regret my decision to live in Hungary but this morning was one of them and all because of something totally trivial!

I decided to give the inside of my gas stove a good clean, something I've been putting off for the past 4 months,the excuse always being that since my hip replacement it's difficult to get up from a kneeling position. (Kidding myself of course because it hasn't been a problem for weeks now).

Get together everything I need and start cleaning the inside but trying to reach the back, put my hand on the door which opens downwards, and in doing so the interior glass panel collapses! *****! Get the manual out to see how to remove the door thinking I might be able to repair it myself only to find it's in Hungarian. ****! Don't even bother to try Google Translate knowing from past experience I'll only get a load of gibberish.

I'm now resigned to waiting until my friend Erika calls round tomorrow morning to ask her help with the translation and to remove the door. Hopefully she'll also know of somewhere in town where I can get it repaired.

On reflection and as an ex-pat who's lived overseas for most of my life, I know I've fallen (for a few minutes) into the trap of blaming the country in which I live for any woes I have.

Sorry Hungary for blaming you for my feeling inadequate!

Grumble over!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Re: What am I doing living here!

Ah - I feel for you gal
Hope it is soon sorted and you can get back to normal - whatever that is
Hopefully the two of you can work it out .....
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 12:57 PM

im curious to know Why are you living in Hungary ? what made you decide to live there ?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->
thinking I might be able to repair it myself only to find it's in Hungarian.
Oh boy I sure do sympathise with you on this, it's been a constant moan of mine that many products in Czechland are sold with instructions in just about every language EXCEPT English.

Now I don't want to sound elitist or anything but why go to the trouble of printing instructions and service data in ten, twelve, or even 15 languages. There will still be some which are not covered, but if they INCLUDED English then there's a fair chance everyone would be satisfied.

Personally I think it's a hang over from the communist days when the only 'foreign' language allowed on domestic product manuals was Russian But in Hungary (As in Czechland) that was over twenty years ago, surely things have moved on from that.

Anyway, hope you get your new glass panel for your cooker and are able to fit it yourself.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 01:19 PM

Hi ZsaZsa What was the manufactuers name?? The reason I ask is there
are a lot of complaints online about a GE oven. The following is just one of
the complaints

"" My GE glass oven door shattered into tiny pieces also around 5:30 pm, Friday, Jun-3-11. I'm going to contact the CPSA also so this was helpful. I've been looking on line and apparently this is a defect that the manufactures are ignoring. From my small research, I've found that the appliances were mostly GE or Kenmore (tomato-tumoto) is there a difference? The flaw seems to be with glass oven doors manufactured around the same time frame. More than the defect, it is very dangerous. I'm more relieved that no one was hurt. However, it's time for whoever manufactured this dangerous contraption to take responsibility for its defective product. All of these defective products should be recalled immediately before piece of glass pops into an innocent baby's or child's eye.

If this has happened to anyone else, please speak up and don't just take this.
"""

It should be online how to take the door off if you do a search for it.
Or as Michael Caine, said
"Your only supposed to blow the bloody door off"

I know the feeling actually. About 4 years ago I had pulled my pull down
door on the oven. Took out the plates I leave in there and then turned it
on. I walk around with no footwear in the house no matter what the
weather is. When it started to warm up I had just gone past the oven
to start cutting the veg when it frightened me to death as the glass
blew out just missing one of my cats who had walked past too.
The glass went everywhere and I was stuck at the wrong end of the kitchen
so had to somehow walk with my hands on the top surfaces to get my
bare feet over all the glass. Don't ask how I did it. My kitchen is luckily
only 6feet wide. I then put some sandals on and took a photo of it. Had to buy a new oven as I think it cost too much to buy just the glass as it has
to be sealed properly or it will do it again. Good luck with it though.
Best thing would be to look the manufacturer up and complain to them
if your friend can write Hungarian.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 02:55 PM

Can you download the english version of the manual Barbara?

Move to Wales instead - it's lovely here today
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Hi Barbara whatever the country there are problems with appliances and I can commiserate with you.

I have a year old Zannusi cooker which was supposed to be top of the range and the door fell off when I was checking on the bread The door was very hot and so was the oven and I had trouble getting the door back on. I don't trust it now fearing it will happen again.

I hope you sort your problem out soon .
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Many 'English' manuals are written in fluent Gibberish, so I imagine Hungarian wouldn't be too much of a challenge....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Move to Wales instead - it's lovely here today
And last time I was there the 'user manuals' were in English

I was surprised to find that any PA announcements in shops or Post Offices are in Welsh first and English second.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 04:48 PM

I too have landed in a place where I don't belong..making serious plans to escape..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top