Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Car courtesy - or not!

Please excuse me if this has been brought up before, but I just need to have a little rant about it. I often stop and wait for people in my car - there is an approach road to my house where because cars are parked both sides there is only room for one car to drive down the middle, and there are cars driving both ways.

I frequently stop and wait for other drivers but rarely get a thankyou wave - especially not from young men, I find.

I tend to grimace as they drive by, or mouth the words "thank you" at them in a very exaggerated way and this relieves my feelings somewhat. Would it really hurt to acknowledge another driver has done the equivalent of hold the door open for you?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 02:09 PM

Re: Car courtesy - or not!

I always put my hand up and wave if someone has been kind enough to let me through first, as you said though, some don't do the same nor thank you but I find the majority do and of course it works both ways
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Doesn't take a second to put a hand up in thanks ! Which is why we always do it, if we are in the car together you may even get two hands up as we both say thanks !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 03:04 PM

I shout it out! And pedestrians are just as bad, at crossings. The amount who don't wave to thank the driver.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Well crossings IMO are a bit different, I do try when possible to say thank you but with the dogs and sometimes crutches and child I am lucky to make it across before someone gets fed up and runs me over these days. Putting a hand up to say thank you could be that straw that breaks the camels back LOL
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 04:28 PM

Ive made hand gestures at other road users, not sure they have all been courteous.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 05:03 PM

what narks me is when a HGV Lorry comes onto your side of the road to pass a stationary vehicle, causing you to come to a halt, I can understand this to a degree, but it's the Dumb Ass motorists who follow in a continuous procession, for the next three minuets that get my goat, they know who they are.
Mick745
New Member!
west yorkshire UK
Mick745 is male 

04-07-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
what narks me is when a HGV Lorry comes onto your side of the road to pass a stationary vehicle, causing you to come to a halt, I can understand this to a degree, but it's the Dumb Ass motorists who follow in a continuous procession, for the next three minuets that get my goat, they know who they are.
When that happens to me i normally give them the fist in the center of my for head.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

Sorry Spittie, won't do it again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Indigo ->
Please excuse me if this has been brought up before, but I just need to have a little rant about it. I often stop and wait for people in my car - there is an approach road to my house where because cars are parked both sides there is only room for one car to drive down the middle, and there are cars driving both ways.

I frequently stop and wait for other drivers but rarely get a thankyou wave - especially not from young men, I find.

I tend to grimace as they drive by, or mouth the words "thank you" at them in a very exaggerated way and this relieves my feelings somewhat. Would it really hurt to acknowledge another driver has done the equivalent of hold the door open for you?

I agree with you Indigo. This very afternoon I waited and let someone through, but then 5 more cars followed quickly too. 3 waved thankyou, and 3 totally ignored me.

I also agree about the zebra crossings Jazzi. No end of people waltz across without so much as looking at the car drivers who have stopped for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top