Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 10:18 AM

Tour de whatever !

I am sick of Tour de france !

York City Council has taken leave of what few wits it had left - all the city flower tubs/beds/hanging baskets have been replanted with yellow flowers. There are bright yellow bicycles prominently attached to the city walls and buildings all over town. There is tee shirt shaped yellow bunting and french flags everywhere and some of our main streets now have name signs in french! Some streets are being closed from today until late on Sunday.

It must have cost untold thousands - and for what? A boring event that will pass through and be heading somewhere else in less than half a day. Total waste of tax payers money!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 10:21 AM

Re: Tour de whatever !

It never ceases to amaze me how money is always found for totally unnecessary frills when it can't be found for what is really needed...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 10:33 AM

That would annoy me too, here I get rather upset with Britain in Bloom, 3 weeks before judging the council go mad and plant everything they can, watering everyday it starts to look lovely. The judges arrived wander round and two days later the council rip it all out declaring it too expensive to keep watering it all. The plants go to be composted absolute waste of money and living plants IMO
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am sick of Tour de france !

York City Council has taken leave of what few wits it had left - all the city flower tubs/beds/hanging baskets have been replanted with yellow flowers. There are bright yellow bicycles prominently attached to the city walls and buildings all over town. There is tee shirt shaped yellow bunting and french flags everywhere and some of our main streets now have name signs in french! Some streets are being closed from today until late on Sunday.

It must have cost untold thousands - and for what? A boring event that will pass through and be heading somewhere else in less than half a day. Total waste of tax payers money!
You have missed the point of it all ,its advertising York and Yorkshire for what little money its cost of a few flowers and bunting ,the pictures will be sent around the world .its selling Yorkshire for tourism , money well spent i would have thought ,if it brings more money in .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 11:10 AM

I would much prefer at least some of my Council Tax to be spent improving conditions for the citizens who pay it! At the moment our roads and pavements are a total disgrace, some even dangerous - the council say they cannot afford to mend them - but - they have happily paid out over £1,000,000 improving the T de F routes! Since when was Yorkshire part of france anyway?

Grrr - man the barricades - line the route with 'stingers' !!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I would much prefer at least some of my Council Tax to be spent improving conditions for the citizens who pay it! At the moment our roads and pavements are a total disgrace, some even dangerous - the council say they cannot afford to mend them - but - they have happily paid out over £1,000,000 improving the T de F routes! Since when was Yorkshire part of france anyway?

Grrr - man the barricades - line the route with 'stingers' !!
Quite ! I see people driving around here unable to find places because our road signs are so filthy they are about unusable, can't afford to clean them I am told. But even worse the OAP day centre is facing closure and the teens programme closed last year. Why are we prioritising so badly ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Are they closing the roads for the cycling? That would really annoy me! I always feel sorry for the folk trying to get to work, doctors, hospital appointments etc. when Pilton's on. But, on the other hand I hate being held up by the lycra bum brigade riding 3 or 4 abreast!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 12:21 PM

On the radio this morning its estimated that it will be worth £100 million to the economy, anyhoo its down South so it will be worth nowt up here.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Sposed to be passing through my town, but fortunately not that close! Can't see what all the fuss is about, TBH. Getting excited over a load of cyclists? For crying out loud!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 12:50 PM

We've had that here in Brighton too. The Tour De France came to Brighton some years ago and all the streets that the tour would be riding on were closed for the day, this included all bus routes, so if you happened to live some distance from the town centre (as I did at the time) you were either stuck at home or walked to and from the town (more than 4 miles each way).

We also get that every year with the British Heart Foundation London - Brighton Bike ride. Again all the roads along the route are closed and all the bus routes stopped.

Then we have the 'Gay Pride' weekend which also includes a march through the streets and yet again the ceasing of the buses for some hours along that route which obviously includes the centre of the town.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top