Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2014, 04:26 PM

Optimism /Pessimism

Do you feel one or the other can be learned or do you feel we're born the way we are & that's that.

I know Dale Carnegie from decades ago wrote some great books, one being How To Stop Worrying & Start Living.

Books are great & can help for awhile but then it seems you go back the way you were.

Anyone on here actually, really, truly believe you 'can' change?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2014, 04:30 PM

Re: Optimism /Pessimism

Really don't know gal - all the people I know that are pessimists have stayed that way.
My glass is half full - rather than half empty and I haven't a clue why, just don't like being down and dwelling on things I guess .......
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 06:14 PM

I was optimistic when I was younger, but life has shown me that the worst case scenario is usually the prevailing one.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Do you feel one or the other can be learned or do you feel we're born the way we are & that's that.

I believe we are born the way we are, but life events can change our way of thinking.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 06:30 PM

I think if you are born with badness in you and you don't get it out of your system by the time you are an adult then you will stay bad for the rest of your days, that had been my experience with a lot of people I've known over the years. Although I've seen good kids become bad adults but that was mainly because they hung around with bad company. I have never been influenced by "How to" books, it's only some other geezer giving his version of things and getting paid for it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 07:46 PM

I believe life changes us all we can start out one way and very much be changed by circumstances, may eventually change again.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->

I know Dale Carnegie from decades ago wrote some great books, one being How To Stop Worrying & Start Living.

Books are great & can help for awhile but then it seems you go back the way you were.

I suspect by the time you are about 25 you are fixed in your ways. Some people may change but not many, if anything you will get more optimistic or more pessimistic with time but you won't switch from one to the other.

For myself I am always optimistic but I like logic and science so if a glass is only half full then it was made too bloody big to start off with.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
...so if a glass is only half full then ...
it needs filling up pronto!

There, fixed that for you!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 04:49 AM

Is this a wine glass, a goblet, a juice glass or a shot glass?
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 06:11 AM

Depends on the degree of your optimism/pessimism

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top