Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2009, 10:12 AM

Fish & Chips - 150 years together!

Fish and Chips will be 150 years old soon, apparently.
Do you like them? (is there anyone who doesn't?).
Where is the best chippie?
Salt & vinegar?
Pickled onion?
Brown sauce?
Tommy K?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Re: Fish & Chips - 150 years together!

I love fish n chips... but as with most things I like these days can't have them

There were a few good chip shops around where I lived and worked, one of them was an award winner and the portions used to be huge! Yum!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Fish and Chips will be 150 years old soon, apparently.
Do you like them? (is there anyone who doesn't?).
Where is the best chippie?
Salt & vinegar?
Pickled onion?
Brown sauce?
Tommy K?
Yes Hilary I love them, I don't put salt, vinegar, ketchup, brown sauce, or pickled onions with them.

The best fish & chips used to be Harry Ramsdens somewhere in Yorkshire but then he sold out to a big fast food company and they have gone down hill ever since

Most connesiers (Sp?) usually say Yorkshire still has the best but you need to know where to go.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2009, 11:47 PM

Have fish and chips every Friday night Don't have salt, vinegar etc. on them-just a portion of mushy peas! My local chippy is just two minutes away nad is excellent-they only cook your fish when you order it so its always freshly done
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 12:51 AM

I had Fish & Chips tonight and they were luvverly...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 01:02 AM

They don't taste like they used too , I think it has somthing to do with the fat they are cooked in.

I find the idea of eating them is better than the reality (haven't had any for years).

Apart from home made ones, the best I have ever tested were at 'Something's Cooking', a fish and chip restaurant in Letterston, Pembrokeshire.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 03:06 PM

I very, very rarely have fish and chips from the chip shop.....except when we are holidaying in the UK.

I love fish and chips but usually cook my own.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 03:11 PM

They always seem to taste better at the seaside - eaten out of the paper/tray, sitting on the sand/bench/sea wall (the height of naughtiness - eating outside like that!)
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
They always seem to taste better at the seaside - eaten out of the paper/tray, sitting on the sand/bench/sea wall (the height of naughtiness - eating outside like that!)
Eating them at the seaside always seemed something special years ago, didn't it - now, I'm afraid it's commonplace with with lots of food ....... hence all the rubbish that is strewn about our pavements and roads

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top