Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Local Restaurant Reviews

I spent about an hour trying to find somewhere "nice" that I could take my wife tonight or tomorrow before she goes in for her operation but failed miserably!

What is it about UK restaurants that have to somehow echo what burger-bars offer?!

I'm not looking for some place that serves 'Fries' with everything - I'm a Brit - I like the word CHIPS!

Fries sounds like an Asian mispronouncing Flies...........

I know - been there - MacDoodoos in Thailand "Flies with that?"!!!

No Fank you sunshine!!

What on earth has happened to BRITISH food - yeah, OK, it's often French / Italian cuisine but hey - who gives a Sh**!!!

I don't want a Burger. I don't want Tex-Mex!

I don't want something that claims to be Thai, Chinese Indian or bloody Jamaican thank-you-so-very-much!

All I want is some food that I can recognise as being something BRITISH or, failing that, something European that I understand!

Is that so hard?!

I can't even get Cod & Chips locally now - it's White Fish.

Who the F**k as taken all our UK caught Cod? Spain?!

Anyway, I'm taking my lovely wife to a pub - restaurant tomorrow that's local to us and if I get any more bullsh*** I'll get arrested but I don't care!

Are we the 51st State of the Union or what?!

Sorry - I'm NOT having a go at our US members here but we have our own identity and love to hear all about you and your views / problems too. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 04:24 PM

Re: Local Restaurant Reviews

Well I had to laugh at your post Steve or I'd cry .....
Some of the pubs or carveries do nice roasts though ....
Hope you have a very pleasant evening
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Well I had to laugh at your post Steve or I'd cry .....
Some of the pubs or carvaries do nice roasts though ....
Hope you have a very pleasant evening
Yeah, I know. I get too worked-up about it all Patsy!
It just seems so stupid that all I want is to look at the effin' menu but all I can find is US-style menus or sod-all!

Think I'll go out and fire-bomb a few .....Jeeeeeeeez!!!

If I keep this up the UK/US Echelon security systems will kick-in and I'll get hauled-off anyway!!! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Well - if all else fails - there is the fish and 'chip' shop, some of them have tables ........
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Hi Steve , I have a copy of The Good Food Guide and looking at places near you The Crooked Billet at Newton Longville is mentioned

http://www.thebillet.co.uk/
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

13-06-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Steve , I have a copy of The Good Food Guide and looking at places near you The Crooked Billet at Newton Longville is mentioned
http://www.thebillet.co.uk/
Thanks Meg!
Looked at the Crooked Billet but wasn't 100% sure it was what we wanted to try!
Friends went there and said they were a bit disappointed!

Going to The Swan at Woburn Sands now - never been before, (bit odd considering it's only 15 mins away), but it might be OK for us!! stevmk2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Thanks Meg!

Going to The Swan at Woburn Sands now - never been before, (bit odd considering it's only 15 mins away), but it might be OK for us!! stevmk2
I hope you enjoy it wherever you go Steve
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 05:03 PM

Found it is best to avoid a restaurant that has a really extensive menu . You can bet that nothing is fresh but it all comes out of the freezer to be "dinged". One or two good local inn's round here , lovely one along the road in Effingham
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

13-06-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon ->
Found it is best to avoid a restaurant that has a really extensive menu . You can bet that nothing is fresh but it all comes out of the freezer to be "dinged". One or two good local inn's round here , lovely one along the road in Effingham
Rather strange that Effingham is literally just a few miles from East Horsley, where my Dad & my step-Mum lived Curmudgeon.

He died not long after my step-mother - so bloody-sad and I can't explain that better mate....... stevmk2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Thanks Meg!

Lovely thought of yours Steve. You might just find the best place is right on your doorstep after all. Hope it's good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top