Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 12:22 PM

A day at St Marys island

Yesterday had a trip to St Marys island, as it was sunny if a bit breezy.

St Marys island.

House Sparrow.

Small Skipper butterfly.

Dodgy Swift flight shot, hours of pointless entertainment trying to follow these well named birds trying for a photo.

Cormorant.

Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 12:26 PM

Re: A day at St Marys island

Excellent!
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Lovely photos Nom.

Hey I think you did well to get that shot of the swift, birds are the bain of my life. So darned uncooperative.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 01:13 PM

That house at the front would do me nicely Nom
Perfect weather for your trip, I bet you enjoyed it
braveheart
Edinburgh
braveheart is male  braveheart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 02:19 PM

Lovely stuff.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 02:27 PM

Excellent snaps as usual Nom. I've been trying to get a good shot of a red kite for years now without success. There's lots of them round here but the devils refuse to pose.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 05:04 PM

Thanks all, LT trying to get flight-shots of Swifts is like knitting fog. .

Try harder Alan, i love Red kites, lovely graceful birds.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 11:09 PM

Lovely photographs, Nom
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 02:54 AM

That is a gorgeous spot.
Is that still a functional lighthouse?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

14-06-2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
That is a gorgeous spot.
Is that still a functional lighthouse?
Not any more LMB, bit of info from my friends wildlife blog, Budget Birder.

History
Some brief notes on St Mary's Island
The Island itself has undergone many changes over the years, from being used by the Monks at Tynemouth Priory to fishermen as a haven during rough seas. There has also been a public house on this site (during the 19th century). Which was demolished to make way for the current house. For a complete history of the Island contact the Local History society at North Shields Library.

There is now a causeway connecting it to the mainland (which is covered by the tide)
Please do no try to cross when covered by the tide as it's quite dangerous. It is mostly a sandstone rock which was connected to the mainland many years ago.

The lighthouse itself was finished in 1898 at the cost of £8,000 and stands 120ft high, you can climb the 137 steps if able ( video service available for the disabled). It is no longer in service ( It remained in use till 1984 when surpassed by modern navigation methods)but is used as a navigation marker by airline pilots landing at Newcastle Airport. The lighthouse is floodlit at night and can be seen for many miles.
St Mary's is also a SSS I (site of special scientific interest)and a VMR(voluntary marine reserve)
Please respect this if you visit.

St Mary's Island and Lighthouse

Opposite the Island is a point known as “CURRY’S POINT". Where in the autumn of 1739 Michael Curry could be seen hanging from a gibbet. He was executed at the Westgate Newcastle on 4th September 1739 for the murder of the landlord of "THE THREE HORSE SHOES" Hartley. As was the custom at the time, he was hung within sight of the crime. A plaque stands there today to mark the spot.

The red cottage was recently sold for £425,000, rumoured to have cost £20,000 in the 80,s. These days The Lighthouse/ visitor centre is used as a wedding venue among other things.

regards Nom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top