Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 11:54 AM

Getting NHS equipment!

Sometimes I really do feel that the NHS has far more than its fair share of incompetents!

Yesterday I got a text sent to me regarding equipment that our hospital has said will be provided for her for use after her Hip operation.
The text said to contact them by 12:00 to confirm a Monday delivery.

I told my wife, via text and she then tried to send a text back - but it failed.

Today they did it again but said to contact them today by 12:00 for a Tuesday delivery so my wife tried again and then tried ringing the other number they'd included but this was a Voicemail only!
In exasperation my wife rang the hospital, got through to someone who could answer the question - eventually - and then got onto the company itself.

It's all sorted now but two things really pee me off: -

On her NHS Form she put our home 'phone, her mobile and my mobile but explained that I was deaf so I can only really respond to texts.

All contact was arranged to be home phone, HER mobile or our eldest son's mobile and they knew that I'd have problems.

What is so hard these days about picking up a 'phone and calling a LANDLINE or, failing that, send a letter in the post, rather than texting!

We've had the same thing with my daughter sending texts to my wife's mobile or even mine recently when our landline has an extension that works up to 100 metres from the base station and we take it out in the garden if we are out there!

If this is the future, I'm getting a morse code transceiver! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Re: Getting NHS equipment!

Aggravating isn't it, I don't have a mobile any more and number of times I cannot get anyone to contact me by anything other than text drives me mad. Contact forms that won't send without a mobile number too, all sent to drive me mad I think.

Mind you are lucky getting NHS equipment, we had to hire or go to the red cross when my Mum needed stuff. Her NHS wheelchair turned up just as we left for her funeral, only took them 2 years to deliver it to us and they chose that day to bring it out. Incompetence at degree level we thought and quite distressing at the time too.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 12:35 PM

One thing I've come across a few times is when filling in forms on-line. For some reason it won't let you type in an answer to a particular question while at the same time it won't let you move on until you've answered that question.......stalemate !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Aggravating isn't it, I don't have a mobile any more and number of times I cannot get anyone to contact me by anything other than text drives me mad. Contact forms that won't send without a mobile number too, all sent to drive me mad I think.

Mind you are lucky getting NHS equipment, we had to hire or go to the red cross when my Mum needed stuff. Her NHS wheelchair turned up just as we left for her funeral, only took them 2 years to deliver it to us and they chose that day to bring it out. Incompetence at degree level we thought and quite distressing at the time too.
That's just awful Julie!!
That must have been very upsetting!

We weren't told anything about this by the NHS at all until Tuesday but my wife wasn't actually told they'd contact her / us by text and especially not me!

I find it totally incomprehensible that government offices and departments cannot follow simple instructions or notes on their forms when they demand you fill them in!

My wife has had NHS letters sent to her with MR. followed by her first name, which isn't ambiguous at all and obviously a female name!

I've had MSwhen my name is obviously a masculine name, so where are they hiring - Uttar Pradesh in India?! stevmk2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 07:42 PM

Know what you mean Alan! Sometimes it says, "enter a valid phone/id number" which you do over & over & have to give up.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

07-06-2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Know what you mean Alan! Sometimes it says, "enter a valid phone/id number" which you do over & over & have to give up.
Twizard, if there was a guarantee they'd NOT pass on your 'phone number I'd possibly consider putting it on but I don't at the moment.

I used to put a number similar to ours but now, all I ever put is 11 zeros - most sites accept that, including accounts I have online that also insist on a 'phone number and some that insist on a mobile number as well!

B****r that!! stevmk2
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 10:13 AM

I never ever give my Mobile number I always give my Home Phone number so I never get texts, if they need to contact me a I get a PERSON.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 11:56 AM

Speaking of NHS Equipment ... why is it that, although they have notices up all over the hospital asking for walking sticks and elbow crutches to be returned, when you take them back they say they do not want them and refuse to accept them ??!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Speaking of NHS Equipment ... why is it that, although they have notices up all over the hospital asking for walking sticks and elbow crutches to be returned, when you take them back they say they do not want them and refuse to accept them ??!!
Yes ! We have wondered that several times too, no one seems to be responsible for accepting them. Eventually an orderly took the last lot of crutches but I think he just did it because we were getting desperate to get back to the car where of course we were paying a fortune in parking charges.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top