Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 06:22 PM

Prisoner Swap

President Obama is ending the war in Afghanistan, and he has brought home our last POW Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. In exchange for his release, we have sent FIVE of the most dangerous prisoners in our Gitanamo Prison back to the Taliban. Here are the salient points

1. Bowe Bergdahl was not a hero. He was 21. He was disallusioned by war, had some pro Afghan sympathies and walked away from his base unarmed. He was captured and has been held 5 years.

2. The 5 detainees released from GITMO were purposely selected by the Taliban as the ones they wanted

3. Some platoon mates of Bergdahl claim 6-7 soldiers were killed looking for Bergdahl.

4. The detainees at GITMO have never been charged with a crime and will have to be released when the war ends anyway.

5. the blowback here is intense with some saying Obama handed dangerous men back to the enemy, and these men will enter back into the business of terror. Some are even calling for Obama's impeachment.

6. US Military code mandates that no US military personnel be left behind.

So I guess my question is. Does the fact that Bergdahl was not a model soldier.. and perhaps was a deserter make a difference. Should he have been left to die at the hands of the Taliban? Was is wrong to release the 5 detainees demanded for his return?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-who-they-are/
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 06:28 PM

Re: Prisoner Swap

Well I saw this yesterday on the news and I wasn't impressed at all.
For me handing back these dangerous men is stupidity !
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Any deals with terrorists only increases the possibility of it happening again. I thought this was understood by our leaders and giving in to blackmail was banned regardless of the people involved, but this deal where one deserter was exchanged for five top terrorists was particularly stupid....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Sometimes things are not either right or wrong but are in a grey area. In my opinion this is such a case.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Sometimes things are not either right or wrong but are in a grey area. In my opinion this is such a case.
Why ?
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 06:44 PM

As a Brit, the quicker this hopeless 'war' is ended the better - too many British troops have died for nothing. And other countries' troops. And far too many innocent Afghanis. And the quicker, normal relations are commenced the better. So prisoners of war have to be repatriated. So I think Obama is right.

As for Guantanamo, that place needs shutting - its an excuse to torture and hold people without trial who they haven't got any evidence against that will stand up in a court - or a court that the US govt wants to try the cases in. How can the west spread democracy with this disgrace on its hands?

Presumably this bloke will face a court martial. And will disappear into one of America's many barbaric prisons for many years when found guilty - as he surely will. He may well have deserted but from the small amount I know, he appears a very disturbed young man. Which begs the question, if he's guilty of something, I'd be looking at the line management that put him in this position.

I have to say America comes across as an extremely vengeful country these days, and much good its doing them. I like to keep up with what's happening over there as my son is working in Texas & has been there nearly two years. He tells me of the extreme views of people he works with - there seems no compassion or awareness of shades of grey in cases such as this.

I would think my views would not be very welcome over there!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

05-06-2014, 06:48 PM

You honestly think that freeing top guns like this is going to end the war !! ?
Think again !
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Why ?
Because ther are valid arguments both for and against.
Briefly
FOR:- 6 people have been returned to their own peoples.
AGAINST:- give way once and it will happen all the time.
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
You honestly think that freeing top guns like this is going to end the war !! ?
Think again !
Oh do us all a favour. Keeping them in prison without trial hasn't improved anything has it? The west is pulling out of Afghanistan -hence decisions like this one. So the war IS ending - or didn't you know? And wars end with prisoner releases.

This is a big issue requiring some thought - not more glib, throwaway flippancy.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

05-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by manasota ->
Oh do us all a favour. Keeping them in prison without trial hasn't improved anything has it? The west is pulling out of Afghanistan -hence decisions like this one. So the war IS ending - or didn't you know? And wars end with prisoner releases.

This is a big issue requiring some thought - not more glib, throwaway flippancy.
I think you know 'this war' is never ending - Afghanistan may have some peace for a while - but this war continues !

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top