Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 01:46 AM

Aromas that disappoint, and those that fulfill

What is she on about now? I can hear you all asking yourselves. Well, imagine this, you are walking along, and suddenly you sniff the air and you can smell the wonderful aroma of fresh coffee brewing and roasting, you go into the cafe and order a cup, and with the thought of the promise of that delicious aroma you take your first sip. Now tell me, does the taste live up to the promise? Rarely. A few others that do this? There's the one guaranteed to set your tummy rumbling and your juices flowing, just walk past a chippie and smell the hot oil, the frying batter and the vinegar then you rush home and sit down to eat while it is still hot, but it somehow does not live up to the initial promise ( although I will concede that the exception are those eaten out of paper at the seaside). And finally, oranges, someone peels one near you and it sets off a yearning for one, but it never tastes quite as good as anticipated.

There are a few exceptions though, onions frying always taste as good as they smell, beef roasting never let's you down, actually come to think of it, most joints roasting fulfil their promise, as do casseroles/stews. So maybe the old olfactory organ can be useful sometimes.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 07:18 AM

Re: Aromas that disappoint, and those that fulfill

Bacon! Love the smell, almost always disgusted with the watery salty result. Oh, and reed diffusers ... what's that all about? I sniff them in the store and they smell wonderful. Set them up at home and after a day or so they smell of nothing at all.
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 07:54 AM

Freshly made bread, still warm so that butter melts easily........yum..........and bacon.......though I could tell you a story about that, that would make you think again.......but hey ho, maybe for another day......... H
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 07:56 AM

Oranges never disappoint me - sometimes they may be a bit sour, but that juiciness always pleases!

For me, popcorn is a total let-down. It never tastes as good as it smells. Dang it all!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 08:18 AM

The Flat where I used to live was built at the side of a carpark above what was then Safeways Supermarket. They made their own bread on the premises and the air vent to the ovens was directly below my balcony window. Used to get the smell of fresh bread all day. Also they used to bake their own currant buns - so had the delightful smell of all spice and Cinnamon too.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 10:50 AM

Are we only talking about food? If so I'd say swap to Waitrose or grow your own - our food is so meddled with by the cheaper supermarkets that so much of what we buy does not taste how it is meant to

Re non-foods, I hate the smell of perfumes and aftershaves - they just smell of vile chemical crap imo the best smelling person I ever smelt (can I say that?) was an aromatherapist - natural oils trounce man-made-mainly-for-profit chemical concoctions any day of the week
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Are we only talking about food? If so I'd say swap to Waitrose or grow your own - our food is so meddled with by the cheaper supermarkets that so much of what we buy does not taste how it is meant to

Re non-foods, I hate the smell of perfumes and aftershaves - they just smell of vile chemical crap imo the best smelling person I ever smelt (can I say that?) was an aromatherapist - natural oils trounce man-made-mainly-for-profit chemical concoctions any day of the week

I agree with you Azz, I burn natural oils as room fresheners too. You can even extend that to taste, because my 'natural' toothpaste tastes entirely different to the sweet compilations from the supermarkets.

Regarding smells, I love the smell of a Sunday roast, fresh cut grass and newly made hay.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 12:18 PM

Aromas that disappoint, and those that fulfill
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 12:39 PM

I love the smell of grass and tar.
Don't like any artificial smell at all and I detest the smell of gloss paint and turps !
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 01:03 PM

Chicken curry always tastes every bit as good as it smells for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top